Mites?

turts&torts

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
A couple pics as I can’t seem to post a video- anyone know how? I can’t get this darn iPhone to focus enough to take a worthwhile photo, I know these just look like specks but at least they somewhat show size.
I am looking to identify little mite like insects on one of my EBTs?
I recall looking into it before and learning they’re quite common…

Attachments

• C3C044DF-748C-4C61-8118-C9272DF42E7B.jpeg
    C3C044DF-748C-4C61-8118-C9272DF42E7B.jpeg
    609.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 41C780BB-BC35-43E6-910E-79B15FB8842A.jpeg
    41C780BB-BC35-43E6-910E-79B15FB8842A.jpeg
    644.9 KB · Views: 2

zovick

10 Year Member!
A couple pics as I can’t seem to post a video- anyone know how? I can’t get this darn iPhone to focus enough to take a worthwhile photo, I know these just look like specks but at least they somewhat show size.
I am looking to identify little mite like insects on one of my EBTs?
I recall looking into it before and learning they’re quite common…
Hard to see, but they look like springtails (which are harmless detritus feeders).

Getting totally rid of them is just about impossible. I would say not to worry about them and just enjoy your turtles.

turts&torts

Ontario
Hard to see, but they look like springtails (which are harmless detritus feeders).

Getting totally rid of them is just about impossible. I would say not to worry about them and just enjoy your turtles.
I appreciate your response. I know, very hard to see with those pictures. I suppose there are many species of springtails so it’s possible, probably more possible than mites on a terrestrial, indoor ebt.
Side note- I know her shell doesn’t look great. I’m working on identifying the concern and correcting. Suspect it’s how she’s been soaking and burrowing lately with some growth

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Look like springtails to me too. Mites are very uncommon on captive Chelonia.

Is that a WC? Are you housing it an open topped table or a closed chamber? What sort of heat lamp are you using?