Misty (did I tell you I got a puppy?)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've been using the MSM, tumeric and vitamin C ever since we've talked about it here. I'll let you all know if it seems to be helping with her pain.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Im glad you are using those Yvonne. I am curious as well to know how this combo helps Misty. With my dachshunds I am always worried about their long backs. I am a fanatic about keeping their weight down and them fit and limber. They actually get regular massages (by me..no I dont pay for my dogs to get massages) and some swmming therapy every now and then.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hey Yvonne,

Both myself, and my dog Apollo, have torn our ACLs. Me, in my former career playing hockey, and Apollo in his current career as a vermin killer. I had the TTA surgery on him, very big deal. His arthritis was kind of bad then I started using glucosamine and chondroitin for the both of us, and it really seemed to help. If you or misty can handle shellfish, then I would try that and see if it helps you girls.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I shared this with a fellow producer 10 years ago who also had wiener dogs. One had to have back surgery. It helped them. To this day it is part of her dogs' routine. Different dogs, different breeds ... natural therapies can help but there is always those factors where it may not work on 100% of everyone. I suppose, medicines are the same thing. Love that we can share our experiences. My Old English Sheepdogs and Shih Tzu have done well on it.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
You might ask your vet about Metacam, if he/she is not already on it. it's a prescription med given 1x a week and has made a huge improvement for my old girl. its made life comfortable for her again.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Metacam is a NSAID, non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. These have side effects which is the big bummer. It affects kidneys and liver. And that then starts a whole new set of problems to deal with, if the kidneys and/or liver break down. Chinese medicine which is thousands of years old states that you want to support and do everything to keep the liver and kidneys healthy. Basically, the difference between Western medicine and old timey medicine from many parts of the world, not just China.

The above noted remedies, have no side effects that will cause permanent harm. Natural remedies do take a little longer to see effect. Sometimes, however, I do see where with a much older dog than a puppy or young dog, it would be better to have quicker results. So yes, it might be warranted to use Metacam, like you do, for your sweet "old girl". : )

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Thanks BeeBee I probably should've clarified that Metecam is a real drug and not a natural treatment. Something really only to be used if other treatments are not helping or providing enuf relief.

oknursedana

5 Year Member
Your house looks fine. I have (ready for the list) a 7 yr old son, 5yr old daughter, 14 yr old cat, 1 yr old cat, 11 yr old lab/rot, 11 yr old long haired terrier type dog, 2 yr old Great Dane, 1 Sulcata, 1 parakeet and finally 1 38 yr old husband. My house always looks like a tornado just touched down inside. Beautiful dobie.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I have read that glucosamine + MSM is the best combo for joints. I give it to my older goats with shoulder arthritis. It helps them a lot. So if you're still giving the glucosamine plus the other stuff you're giving, that should help her a lot, but it won't hurt her if she doesn't need it. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for that reassurance. I wondered if "self" diagnosing and then treatment would do harm if it's not hip dysplasia.

She gets worse every day. After she's been laying down for a while, she gets up like an old lady. It takes her several tries to finally make it up on all four feet. Then she limps on three legs until she's taken 10 or 12 steps, then she finally walks like she's not stiff (hurting?).

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Did the symptoms happen all of a sudden? Or was there just a slow progression? She may have injured or torn a tendon or ligament in one leg. That is always a possibility with a large exuberant dog.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has come on very slowly and gotten progressively worse.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It could possibly be her knee? My bully had a torn ACL. That's how she would act. Slow getting up, limping and not standing on it, until she was moving a bit. If it is, there are two types of surgery. One they are suppose to get almost 90-95 percent movement back and is around 5000.00. The other they get about 75% and is around half the price. Of course these are Chicago prices, yours might be cheaper. Opt for the cheaper one. We did the more expensive one because ours was only 2 years old, long life left yet. Well, she still has problems and I would say she has about 75-80% not as good as it should have been and if she plays hard, she is layer up the whole rest of that day and maybe the next.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Healing crisis.

Sometimes, within a week into remedies, a healing crisis will occur and that is because an effect is taking place. Yay. Kinda. You get worse before you get better. As healing happens, there is a flush into the bloodstream or a natural scrubbing, if you will. If there is anti-inflammatory action, then those white cells have pooped out a lot of free radicals and now the turmeric and the MSM (or whatever remedy one may have chosen) are being pushed out of the body and that can be a lot like when, for instance, a drug addict is going through withdrawals when dumping drugs. It's system detox overload. Some dogs, like wolves, will be slower, or even curl up and stay in their favorite spot, appear sick, may be not eat for a day or two. This is, believe it or not, a possible sign that healing is taking place. A lot of times, folks will take their pets to the vet and boom, healing crisis interrupted, with drugs. Remedies are supportive, they give a leg up on the saddle, so that the body can get a boost on healing or adapting.

As an add, free radical damage causes our cells to weaken and malfunction. This is the process of aging and degenerative disease. By using supportive herbs and MSM (or other things, like glucosamine and chondroitin) you remove those free radicals before they can do more damage. Removing them helps in healing. And then, healing crisis. All good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Misty's ears are not cropped. I think the point was to give them a more alert and aggressive look.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
MSM. Have you tried MSM on her, Yvonne? Should always be given with Vitamin C as they work together beautifully, and as an added punch, with Omega 3 fatty acids. I have had Old English Sheepdogs since the 70's and because of the breeding when they were hot because of the Disney movies, hip problems are more often than not. I have shared/recommended this to people too. The later actor James Coburn said it was the only thing that helped his arthritis. My attorney had hip surgery. He has race horses. I told him he needed to take that (pointed to the 55 gallon drum) after, for healing. He said, "You want me to take what we give the horses?" I said, "Works great. And if it is good enough for race horses, it's good enough for you. Heck those horses are worth more than you." Oops. Lack of filter insults again.

I also sprinkle turmeric as if it was salt on their foods. I get it at the Middle Eastern or Indian market. It is anti-inflammatory and some studies say anti-tumors, and even anti-cancer. It's what is used in curry.

MSM is very well priced at the feed store and even though it says only for horses, I use it too. Pure MSM is pure MSM. My opinion, no risk, just less expensive with the horse on the container.

Since this very old thread has been reincarnated, I thought it would be nice if I were to thank @BeeBee*BeeLeaves for her helpful information. Since this post, about a year and a half ago, I've been giving Misty the turmeric, vit. c, glucosomine and MSM every other day and I'm happy to say that she's pain free and shows no signs of bad hips.