Misty

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
there are a variety of the "spot stuff" flea medications , you didn't use a different one than she has previously used ? a couple other otc antihistamines that work on dogs are zyrtec and chlor-trimeton .........if you use benadryl make sure it's the normal one whose only ingredient is diphenhydramine , i think benadryl has other products for colds and flu ...... maybe a medicated shampoo for her feet , you need to clear her ears up , there are otc ear meds that may work , i have heard good things about zymox , but a script would be the easiest way to get that done ...... if you get it cleared up , i'd stop everything and hope it didn't come back , which does happen .......

There's absolutely NOTHING in her ears. Clean as a whistle. When she first started holding it down and shaking her head I had my daughter help me get her in the truck and to the vet. He looked way down inside and couldn't see a thing. Not even redness or swelling. No dirt. No wax, nothing.

I've used benedryl before and really didn't notice any difference. I'll try the Zyrtec.

I normally buy the flea stuff that's on sale, so it's quite possible it was a different one last time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Seresto flea collar, They Work, I haven't seen a flea since I started using them.

I looked the collar up and most everywhere for a large dog it's $54.99, but at 1800petmeds I can get it for 20%off, so I ordered one. That's pretty expensive for a stupid collar, I sure hope it works! Thanks for the tip, Len. I won't be trying it for a couple more weeks, but we'll see what we can see!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She has licked the hard skin right off her left pad, to a raw mess. She doesn't even want to go outside because she knows it will hurt her foot. I've looked closely, in bright sun light with my close up glasses and there's nothing in there.

She's been eating the Taste of the Wild dog food ever since I got her three or four years ago. I doubt she'd all of a sudden develop an allergy to it. And she doesn't get any new kind of snacks, just the same old ones I've always bought. It's got to be the fleas.

I really appreciate all the attention you've all given to this thread. Misty means a lot to me and I'm willing to listen to any and all suggestions, and I'll try anything.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I looked the collar up and most everywhere for a large dog it's $54.99, but at 1800petmeds I can get it for 20%off, so I ordered one. That's pretty expensive for a stupid collar, I sure hope it works! Thanks for the tip, Len. I won't be trying it for a couple more weeks, but we'll see what we can see!
Try emailing Bayer and ask if it can safely be used after you used the avantix. I read the information sheet that comes with the collars last night and it didn't mention it couldn't be used with other products. It seems expensive but they last 8 months, a lot cheaper than the stuff I used to get from the vet and for me it works much better.

Newark, DE
She has licked the hard skin right off her left pad, to a raw mess. She doesn't even want to go outside because she knows it will hurt her foot. I've looked closely, in bright sun light with my close up glasses and there's nothing in there.

She's been eating the Taste of the Wild dog food ever since I got her three or four years ago. I doubt she'd all of a sudden develop an allergy to it. And she doesn't get any new kind of snacks, just the same old ones I've always bought. It's got to be the fleas.

I really appreciate all the attention you've all given to this thread. Misty means a lot to me and I'm willing to listen to any and all suggestions, and I'll try anything.

Could she have been bit or stung by something? I ask this because if it was fleas or allergies it seems to me it would be more widespread then just the one foot/leg? One of my boxers was stung by a bee or mosquito or something on his back leg and he chewed it until he created a hot spot, which he would not leave alone - it was not easy getting it cleared up. That sounds almost like what Misty has done to her foot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might have been something like that originally, something that got her started on that particular foot, but she is now itchy all over. While in the house, because she knows I don't like her biting and scratching, she lays quietly, but as soon as we go outside she continuously "starts her Honda."

Newark, DE
There is a powder that I got from my vet that cleared up my dogs spot quickly. It didn't bother him when I put the powder on the wound and he didn't mess with it. I will try to find the name - you may be able to buy it OTC. Also, someone may have suggested this already but if you suspect she still has fleas and you've already done a flea treatment - bathing in the blue Dawn dish soap works wonders killing fleas. It's what we use at the shelter for baby puppies and kittens who are too young for flea treatment.

Newark, DE
It might have been something like that originally, something that got her started on that particular foot, but she is now itchy all over. While in the house, because she knows I don't like her biting and scratching, she lays quietly, but as soon as we go outside she continuously "starts her Honda."

the powder is called Neo-Predef

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks. That (blue dawn) seems to be some sort of modern miracle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a note to update the thread. Misty's itchiness came on all of a sudden and it seems to be slowly going away. I bandaged up her feet when I first saw how raw they were, and believe me, that was a job in itself (keeping the bandages on). But over time she has done a fair job of growing new hard skin over the pads, so she is now bandage free. Dobermans are very sensitive dogs. She thought she was being punished having to have bandages on her feet. She was very timid during this time and I had to actually force her to come with me outside. She's very happy to have them off!!! She still wants to lick her feet, but she's not as aggressive at it as she was before. I give her two Benedryl daily, but I really don't see that they work. She's still pretty itchy, 'starting her Honda' all the time. But is able to rest comfortably without itching and scratching. I have ordered Dynovite to see if that will help her itchy ear, but it hasn't arrived. I also ordered the flea collar that Len suggested, and it hasn't arrived yet. I'm fairly sure all this started because we had an upswing of a flea infestation right about the end of the 30 days that her flea medication was supposed to last for. I had found a small family of opossum living in my garden shed and I'm pretty sure they brought the fleas, because before them we really didn't have a problem. When a dog is allergic to fleas all it takes is one to cause a problem for that dog. So I'm going to have to be more tuned in to making sure she's flea proof.

I appreciate all the help and ideas you all offered. This is a great place, and you people are the best!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This may sound strange, but years back I had a Doberman that was having skin problems. Talked to an old fashion farm vet and he said to feed him cooked green beans and rice with his regular food and it worked to fix the problem. I hope you can figure out what is causing Misty's problems

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Love those old seat-of-the-pants diagnoses. I'm sure Misty would be very happy to dine on mama's green beans and rice.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Poor Misty! I wonder if she needs a cortisone shot? My dog got one every Sept for his itching.

How's her paw?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The hard skin has regrown, but I still have to keep watching her to make sure she doesn't start licking again. Now that it's all healed I've taken another real close look and it looks like there MIGHT be some sort of little growth between a couple of the pads. Next time my daughter comes over I'll have her younger eyes take a look at it.