Missing Tort!! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xander

5 Year Member
Today my lil guy got lost in our back yard. We have a large yard with lots of bushes. We have been looking everywhere for the last 4 hrs and can't find him. He is a lil guy 5 inches about 1 1/2 lbs. I live in Arizona in the city so its not too cold at night. Any thoughts on how to find him or any tricks to motivate him out of where ever he is hiding. Do you guys think he will be safe outside over night? He is defiantly living up to his name, which is Houdini. Do you guys think he will.just show up in the morning?

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Casselberry
I think he will show up in the morning..in that morning sun. he's probably in the Bushs sleeping. I think he will be ok over night. i hope you find him soon!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
did he escape his outdoor enclosure?
go out in the morn and look where the sun is hitting.. i bet he is there.

Xander

5 Year Member
We were just letting him roam in the grass and he just disappeared. I feel like the worst parent ever. We have looked in every bush and my husband was bitten by a thousand ants in the process. But u guys think he will be out in the a.m.? what time should i start the search in the morning? thank you guys so much. I will keep you guys updated. Please send good thoughts on finding him. The backyard is completely wraped in a brick wall so there is No way for him to get out. Thank you again for your help.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
You can try to put some strawberries out in the middle of the yard or some bright hibiscus flowers. That might entice the tort.
When mine wander off I usually find them burrowed under a bush or hiding behind a plywood board.
Good Luck!!

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Good luck in finding him! That situation happened to me before, and I looked everywhere and finally found him hiding somewhere. Sometimes you need to look in unexpected places. It's a good thing that the backyard is covered by a brick wall.

Xander

5 Year Member
No... He is still missing.:'( I dont know what to do. I have know clue where he is..

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
Do you have a water bowl or soaking dish in the yard? He might get thirsty and wander to the bowl. I hope you find him!

Xander

5 Year Member
i will defiantly try that. thanks. Any other suggestion??

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Reno, Nevada
Xander said:
Today my lil guy got lost in our back yard. We have a large yard with lots of bushes. We have been looking everywhere for the last 4 hrs and can't find him. He is a lil guy 5 inches about 1 1/2 lbs. I live in Arizona in the city so its not too cold at night. Any thoughts on how to find him or any tricks to motivate him out of where ever he is hiding. Do you guys think he will be safe outside over night? He is defiantly living up to his name, which is Houdini. Do you guys think he will.just show up in the morning?
I'd keep looking and would not stop!!! I have read too many stories esp on this forum re: birds and animals at night snagging little turts/torts. Of course if not found he will probably show up in the AM for sure. When he does be sure to let us know....after of course, you give him a scolding.:p Good luck :tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe try several flat rocks and put them around the yard. He might come out to bask on one. I would keep looking as soon as the sun comes up and later in the afternoon, when it gets a little cooler. Good luck

Xander

5 Year Member
We looked for hours yesterday and for hours this morning. Still no tort. He weighs about a pound. Do you think anything could have taken him? I live in the city.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Go around the yard with the hose, and soak everything, that might lure him out. You will probably have to find him by feel, not sight.

Xander

5 Year Member
I just tried the hose thing with no luck. He have been on our hands and knees going through every bush. We live on a corner lot so have a huge back yard. The weather channel says this week it should only be in the high 90°'s. Do you think he will be ok today? Any other thoughts on how to find the lil guy. I even asked my dog for help and all she did was find her ball. Please help. I am loosing my mind.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
There is no way he can get out. Dont worry he will find sunlight for heat OR will find him self a nice hiding spot. Iv found my almighty zeus stuck in his bush in the branch's not on the floor and one time tangeled in his wondering jew. Just keep up the search check corners under things everywhere a billion times he's bound to show up. I bet he's loving it right now exploring the yard watching you look for him. Zeus loves watching me look for him i always catch him staring right at me. Unless you have things in your backyard that can harm him like halks or snakes racoons im sure he'll be fine. He wont die so eventually he will pop up. Put lots of food all over the yard he'll come out for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.