missing sulcata home after missing for 4 days

Scottmay69

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin, ohio
I have a 4 and a half year old 20 pound sulcata that escaped his enclosure 4 days ago. We just found him tonight. I live in Ohio. It has been in the high 40's at night and it rained last night. Daytime temps are in the 70's. He was very cold when we found him. I gave him a soak in warm water. He drank A LOT of water. He seems to be wore out. I am reaching out to the group to see if there is anything I can do for him, or that I need to watch for. He is in his winter enclosure now inside which is completely climate and humidity controlled. Any information is appreciated. thanks. scott

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yay, glad you found him. Just keep an eye on him. Look for discharge from eyes, nose, mouth. Any kind of unusual noises. Won't eat.
Keep the temp day and night 85. Basking area 95-100.

ryan57

PA
Mine (1.5yr 15lb sulcata) took a vacation for a week and the first night it was in the low 50's. Not good. Second day was rainy. After being back for about a week had a RI (elevated heat in the high 80's, low 90's) and is taking medication and shots for it. Doing much better than last week. Really lucky to have a reptile vet that works for the Hershey Park zoo within 30 min.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine (1.5yr 15lb sulcata) took a vacation for a week and the first night it was in the low 50's. Not good. Second day was rainy. After being back for about a week had a RI (elevated heat in the high 80's, low 90's) and is taking medication and shots for it. Doing much better than last week. Really lucky to have a reptile vet that works for the Hershey Park zoo within 30 min.
Good reptile vets are always worth the drive!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a 4 and a half year old 20 pound sulcata that escaped his enclosure 4 days ago. We just found him tonight. I live in Ohio. It has been in the high 40's at night and it rained last night. Daytime temps are in the 70's. He was very cold when we found him. I gave him a soak in warm water. He drank A LOT of water. He seems to be wore out. I am reaching out to the group to see if there is anything I can do for him, or that I need to watch for. He is in his winter enclosure now inside which is completely climate and humidity controlled. Any information is appreciated. thanks. scott
Where was he?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So how has he been doing? Back to normal or did he need to see a vet, which is scarier than him missing, almost.

Scottmay69

Dublin, ohio
So how has he been doing? Back to normal or did he need to see a vet, which is scarier than him missing, almost.
unfortunately, we had to put him down over the weekend.....its very hard. He wouldnt eat. and we took him to the vet last wed. He hadn't eaten anything. Ct scans and ultrasounds found a blockage in his small intestine. Only option became surgery, and dr gave him less than a 50% chance after surgery. Cost was prohibitive with that type of outcome. Soo....we had to make the tough decision. It sucks..... We had suspected he was a She. We confirmed with ultrasound. The family is pretty broke up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
unfortunately, we had to put him down over the weekend.....its very hard. He wouldnt eat. and we took him to the vet last wed. He hadn't eaten anything. Ct scans and ultrasounds found a blockage in his small intestine. Only option became surgery, and dr gave him less than a 50% chance after surgery. Cost was prohibitive with that type of outcome. Soo....we had to make the tough decision. It sucks..... We had suspected he was a She. We confirmed with ultrasound. The family is pretty broke up.
Oh man, I am so very sorry. Not what I was expecting to hear.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh no! That's just awful. I'm so very sorry you had to do that. I hate when that happens.