Miniature tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
Hi every one I was wondering if there was Small tortoise preferably less than 5in any help would be greatly appreciated.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Lol @ sulcata. You can go with many species that are close to 5" but your going to have a very hard time finding the species smaller than 5". Chaco males stay around 5", padlopers and parrot beaks, and egyptians stay sround that size. But next to near impossible to find as well as the difficulty and price of these species. Pancakes, greeks, hermanns, russians, and even a box turtle are your best options in size.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Spiders are another species that stay very small, but like Tortadise said, most of the very small species are harder to find and more expensive.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
jeffbens0n said:
Spiders are another species that stay very small, but like Tortadise said, most of the very small species are harder to find and more expensive.

I would love a spider tortoise, I've been lucky enough to see them in person and I adore their little faces :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
OH yes I forgot about those little guys(even though ive had many of them, I have too many that I start forgetting). But also I would put them in the expensive and more expert care required species as well.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
jeffbens0n said:
How about a sulcata? I think they stay pretty small.
Great idea, my little Sulcata Cooper is 18 months, 12 1/2 inch's, and over 11lbs. Small fellow.
Greek tortoise's stay pretty small. Russian males are around 5-7 inch's.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You know, one of us need to create a colorful small sized tortoise. Just think how rich you would be. :rolleyes:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
geometric tortoise? Or the tent? mmmm mmmm. They are small and SUPPPPPPER expensive. If i only had some I would be rich. :D:D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortadise said:
geometric tortoise? Or the tent? mmmm mmmm. They are small and SUPPPPPPER expensive. If i only had some I would be rich. :D:D

I keep telling ya, you already ARE rich. You have a great Mom, okay looks :p , great personality, belong to TFO, and have TORTOISES!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
HAHA. Why thank yah. This is true. I do have a very good job too. You just put a pep in my step jacqui:D:D:D:D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortadise said:
HAHA. Why thank yah. This is true. I do have a very good job too. You just put a pep in my step jacqui:D:D:D:D

Alright! Now that I have done my good deed for the day, I can go back to being my mean self...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacqui said:
tortadise said:

I keep telling ya, you already ARE rich. You have a great Mom, okay looks :p , great personality, belong to TFO, and have TORTOISES!!

;)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Jacqui said:
tortadise said:

Alright! Now that I have done my good deed for the day, I can go back to being my mean self...

Darn, just when I thought hell was freezing over, you burst my bubble! :p We wouldnt want you any other way! :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cemmons12 said:
Darn, just when I thought hell was freezing over, you burst my bubble! :p We wouldnt want you any other way! :)

:p It's nice to be loved! :D

tortadise said:
PSHHHHH mean self? Ive never see you be mean at all?

You don't read much do ya? :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Whenever anyone asks about tortoises that small, I always recommend American box turtles.

As for making a 'mini tortoise species', I would hate to even think about how many generations it would take, at what- 6 years per generation?- to make one that was small, healthy, bred OK, easy care, and cheap enough for normal folk to afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.