Biting

herschel

Location (City and/or State)
belleville ontario
Hi all: I am wondering how one stops their tortoise from always trying to bite fingers, hands, etc. I see tortoises in video who never bite their humans but Herschel thinks my fingers are yummy sausages or something - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What kind of tortoise? How long have you had it?

It’s all part of watching & understanding animal behavior. Be careful, watch what you are feeding. Don’t wiggle your fingers about like live food. Offer “longer” pieces & don’t tease. Offer the item, let your tort nibble & then let your tort take away.

herschel

belleville ontario
What kind of tortoise? How long have you had it?

It’s all part of watching & understanding animal behavior. Be careful, watch what you are feeding. Don’t wiggle your fingers about like live food. Offer “longer” pieces & don’t tease. Offer the item, let your tort nibble & then let your tort take away.
He is a red foot and he is now about 3 years old and has a lot of human interaction - I do what you have mentioned but he always wants my fingers and it does hurt as you probably know:) I'm worried of course that the bigger he gets the bigger the bite - I don't know how to show him the difference between my hand and food if you will...thank you for your advice!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He is a red foot and he is now about 3 years old and has a lot of human interaction - I do what you have mentioned but he always wants my fingers and it does hurt as you probably know:) I'm worried of course that the bigger he gets the bigger the bite - I don't know how to show him the difference between my hand and food if you will...thank you for your advice!
I was taught to NEVER EVER offer food, treats or whatever with your hand because this is what happens. Use
tongs
and here's why...100_4967.JPG
100_4968.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
suppose your nephew or whoever, a toddler, that bite on my hand conceivably could bite a finger off a toddler..

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes, it can be very serious. I would simply just stop hand feeding entirely. What's to lose?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all: I am wondering how one stops their tortoise from always trying to bite fingers, hands, etc. I see tortoises in video who never bite their humans but Herschel thinks my fingers are yummy sausages or something - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you.
I have a simple suggestion that will solve this problem once and for all: Move your hand out of the way.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I have a simple suggestion that will solve this problem once and for all: Move your hand out of the way.
Yeah. I mean, just put the food down on a rock. ??? Tortoises bite b/c they need to do so to find out what things are. I don't stick my hands in my tortoise's face. Beasley will bite at my shoes if I am in her outdoor pen with her--but that's why I don't go in there in sandals LOL.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I haven't kept count of them. But I've probably kept at least 60 Redfoot tortoises at one time or another.
I only recall 3 that seemed to want to eat my toes, fingers etc. One of which is in my "forever" collection.
He's now 11 years old and has never stopped doing it.
They don't all behave the same way.
Just be very careful because I'll bet it hurts. (I haven't found out just yet)