Minerals Vitamins and Calcium

vei489

Location (City and/or State)
Massapequa
Hi First Time Post
I have CherryHead that I am using Muzuri food that says it contains vitamins and minerals. Do I still need to get a calcium supplement and a vitamin/mineral supplement. I am afraid that I will overdo it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi First Time Post
I have CherryHead that I am using Muzuri food that says it contains vitamins and minerals. Do I still need to get a calcium supplement and a vitamin/mineral supplement. I am afraid that I will overdo it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
You need a varied diet.
Mazuri isnt meant to be eaten alone.
Anything except a baby would be fine eating food without supplements.
But feed a large assortment of fruits, greens, mushrooms, flowers and protein. Including Mazuri.
Redfoot (including Cherryhead Redfoot) can eat hundreds of things. The most items of any other species that I am aware of. And they can eat things like fruit that would kill some other tortoises.
Take advantage of that and mix it up.
You can feed as much as 20% Mazuri. Even more every now and then.
But don't feed just Mazuri.
I leave some cuttlebone laying around too, just in case my RF want a little extra.
They know when they need it.
Mostly they leave it alone.

Last edited:

vei489

Massapequa
You need a varied diet.
Mazuri isnt meant to be eaten alone.
Anything except a baby would be fine eating food without supplements.
But feed a large assortment of fruits, greens, mushrooms, flowers and protein. Including Mazuri.
Redfoot (including Cherryhead Redfoot) can eat hundreds of things. The most items of any other species that I am aware of. And they can eat things like fruit that would kill some other tortoises.
Take advantage of that and mix it up.
You can feed as much as 20% Mazuri. Even more every now and then.
But don't feed just Mazuri.
I leave some cuttlebone laying around too, just in case my RF want a little extra.
They know when they need it.
Mostly they leave it alone.
Thanks ZeroPilot.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I try my best to feed a varied diet to my torts, but sometimes, especially in the depths of winter, I fail...

To make sure that they get the vitamins and minerals they need, I give them Mazuri 1-2 times a week and shake a mix of dried plants (flowers, herbs, leaves, seaweed) on their greens and other foods.

IMG_20200615_072625 (1).jpg

This helps to ensure that they all get the vitamins and minerals and fiber that they need.

Jamie

vei489

Massapequa
Thanks Jamie. I like that idea and the way you have the mix set up. Do you add supplements to this mix?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thanks Jamie. I like that idea and the way you have the mix set up. Do you add supplements to this mix?

Nope, just sprinkle it on... it should have all the nutrients that your tort needs.

J