Marginated and Hermanns tortoise diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthorne1

5 Year Member
Hey all!

I'm trying to a find a simple list of weeds and general foods that will supply my marginated and hermanns tortoises with all the vitamins and minerals they need to stay healthy.

I have read a lot on the internet and pretty much all of it contradicts each other. i'm stumped really. I know that they like dandelion leaves and plantane but what veg and fruit (if any) is best? Also, what is the best calcium D3 supplement to buy?

Help would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Thank you

Rich

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I keep Marginateds, all three subspecies of Hermann's along with Ibera Greeks, Russians and a few others. Depending upon seasonal availability I feed all of mine, regardless of age and size a variety of the following: Broad and narrow leaf plantain, dandelion leaves and flowers, sow thistle, lambsquarters, crown vetch, alfalfa (fresh plants), clover (all types), various wild flowers, poplar and other tree leaves, pumpkin and squash plants, cactus pad, endive, escarole, chicory, green leaf & romaine lettuce and more. This is list is by no means a complete one, there really isn't a complete list since the food sources are so vast and can vary based on locality. Generally speaking Hermann's usually show little interest in grass or hay whereas adult some Marginateds will often browse on fresh grass and sometimes hay. Greens make up about 80-85% of my tortoises diet.
I also feed them vegetables consisting of pumpkin, various squashes, green and yellow beans, peas, carrots, sweet potato, mushrooms and more.
I do not use any supplemental vitamins at all, but rely on a varied diet for vitamin sources. I also don't coat food with calcium but make it available at all times for them to consume at will in the form of either calcium carbonate powder (for younger tortoises) and pieces of cuttlebone for medium to adult size tortoises. Calcium containing D3 is used primarily when a tortoise doesn't have adequate exposure to UVB. Some people use a calcium with D3 added in less frequent amounts even though their tortoises are exposed to adequate amounts of UVB, just to play it safe.
Fruit should not be part of either species diet but there is no harm in them getting small amounts of it on limited occasion.
I think the foundation for keeping Hermann's and Marginateds healthy is to keep them adequately hydrated by offering them a source of fresh water constantly or at least very often. Also to give younger, developing tortoises a moist substrate or at the very least offer them moist areas within their enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Rich:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.