Milk?

blancka

I was Wondering if Milk is No go for boxie. I made sweet potato zucchini mash this evening and thought id give them.some but There is abit of Milk In it

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I doubt it would be harmful.

Turtle mom

5 Year Member
New Orleans
I saw this article on http://www.turtlepuddle.org/american/boxcare.html
(What I should feed my turtles)
There are very few foods that should be avoided of strictly limited.

1.) Reptiles do not utilize milk products at any stage of their lives, and lack the enzymes to break down lactose. So do not feed cheese, yogurt, or other dairy products to your turtles.

2.) Canned and other processed foods often are very high in salt and other preservatives. The effects of these things are not fully known, but they would not be part of a natural diet. It would be prudent to limit their use.

3.) Avoid candy, chocolates, breads, and any other refined sugars and flours, or other highly processed food-like products.

4.) Although some turtles are known to eat poisonous plants in the wild, the specifics of that behavior are not well studied. It is probably wisest to avoid the use of toxic plants in their habitats (i.e. poison ivy, rhubarb plants, avocado plants, etc.)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Thanks, ill toss abit in the mig Then :)

Keep an eye on them. Without the lactase enzyme in their gut needed to break down the lactose sugar in the milk, there is a very good chance that this will give them the hershey squirts (as anyone who is lactose intolerant can testify)..