Miko my new leopard not interested in lettuce

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
My new lil bitty leopard isn't very interest in eating the kale and greens I bought for him. He is only the size of a quarter so I chopped everything up really fine and sprinkled with calcium powder and he like tastes it but doesn't seem to really want to eat. I put a blueberry in there mushed up and he devored it..
Any tricks for getting them to eat greens? He is little so he just might not be that hungry
He is a baby, still has a egg tooth. I have a 100 degree basking temp and the coldest temp in cage is 85
On Coco coir, damp for humidity. I soak him twice a day and squirt him as many as possible

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very little calcium, a tiny pinch twice a week and disguise it really well. No fruit. Keep trying different kinds of greens.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
How cute, that you named him Miko. I have a friend with that name. Yay.
Try without the calcium and see if that helps. Also, try to avoid fruit for now because of the sugars and baby is still so young and he may not have what he needs and the fruit sugars can cause a nasty "bloom" of bad bacteria.

Here is a fun link I think you may like: http://www.pinterest.com/pietersmith/leopard-tortoise-edible-plants/

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I'll try some without the powder,
He is very very active tho, spends most his time running around the cage. Or basking
I'm use to torts that eat like pigs, pretty much anything.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
BUT, your baby had a stressful trip, although he seems okay, he may still getting over that crazy plane and truck and car ride. Imagine not knowing what is going on outside that dark box. And baby does not know you yet. He/she may be wondering if you are going to eat him.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Miko my new leopard not interested in lettuce

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
BUT, your baby had a stressful trip, although he seems okay, he may still getting over that crazy plane and truck and car ride. Imagine not knowing what is going on outside that dark box. And baby does not know you yet. He/she may be wondering if you are going to eat him.

Very true. To be safe I emailed the seller and found out he does eat lettuce with powder so it's not that. And his favorite is romaine lettuce, I'll get some of that to add to what I have now.
Hopefully he gets use to everything and starts eating like a lil piggy soon, then I'll relax. Till then I've been watching him like a hawk and keeping fresh food in his cage 24/7

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
don't get him hooked on Romain...
try a cube of pumpkin or butternut squash, flowers, tiny amount of grated carrot, ....

ZombiiePoopp16

5 Year Member
Mine doesn't get any lettuces since they are mostly water and he only gets greens once a week. Mine was very picky the first couple of months and didn't really take the grasses but when I mixed it with hibiscus and cactus he would eat it all and never gives me trouble now. Try that instead :)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Miko my new leopard not interested in lettuce

ZombiiePoopp16 said:
Mine doesn't get any lettuces since they are mostly water and he only gets greens once a week. Mine was very picky the first couple of months and didn't really take the grasses but when I mixed it with hibiscus and cactus he would eat it all and never gives me trouble now. Try that instead :)

Thanks :) I'll try it. He seems to only want to eat red things...
He takes a lil bite of greens and then just moves on like he didn't care for it