Might be adopting a Boxie sooner than thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I ran across an ad for a Boxie.

Shellsea is a box turtle who is of unknown age and gender (but we call Shellsea a girl). We think she is around 17 - 23 years old, so she still has a lot of years left. She is low maintenance, however, I think she needs to be in a home that understands Box Turtles and can give her everything she needs.

She would be indoors until the weather permits her to start living outback.

I'm currently talking with the owners and scheduling time to drive up and pick her up.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    707.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    897.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    889.6 KB · Views: 43

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
omg thats a three toed boxie!!..I want her!!....I love the olive to brown shells.....I would love to have her...hope you get her!!

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Eee sooo exciting !!! I'm sure you will give her a great home !!! Good luck :):):)

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Well it looks like it's gonna happen, will be driving up to get her saturday and I'll see if I can't find out more info about her than.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Alright we are packing up for the long drive, the lady thinks we are nuts for driving all the way to Austin for a turtle, and I agree a bit, but once the wife saw the pics of her it was a done deal, plus the kids will be with grandma, so it should be a nice quite trip.

Now I just need the rain to let up a bit otherwise I'll have to teach her to swim if she wants to go out back....LOL

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
In the long run..it's only gas plus a nice drive with the spouse & time together...and you'll have another boxie to care for!:cool: I am all for rescuing!..It makes me happy to know that this boxie will now have a better loving home!....:D:tort:

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I totally agree with Jojo !! It's a great feeling to rescue a boxie :) enjoy her !!

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
No pics yet, I got her all setup and finished around 9:30, I'm just now done cleaning up the mess, it was along drive from Houston to Austin and than back, but really nice and quite without the kids.

We decided to keep her in the 55 gallon since she has been in it for 6 years. Of course we made changes to her layout. I took out all the dry coir and replaced it with organic top soil and a layer of cypress mulch, added a paint tray to one side and a hide to the other with peat moss inside.

I gave her a long soak while I set things up and when she got in her tank she went and soaked some more for about 20 minutes, than got out and dug into and buried herself in the moss.

The 55 Gallon is really to small for her, but we figured she's used to it and it's easy to monitor her in it and it's only temporary, spring will hit here in a week or two and than she will get a new outdoor enclosure probably 8'x12' and eventually she will get an even larger enclosure when we move to our new neighborhood.

I still need to check her over, I did notice her nails seem very long so I'll check that tomorrow. They gave me some rep-cal box turtle food, I'm not sure if that's all she ate or if she ate any of it, we didn't get much time to talk, some real nasty storms were chasing us out of Austin.

I'll get some pics of her tomorrow and the enclosure, gotta still run down to my mom's and swipe some spider plant cuttings.... :)

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Here's a pic of her... We've slightly changed her name, I hope not to confuse her....LOL She used to go by Shellsea, Now she is Chelsea AKA "Patches" My wife had a hard time saying Shell-Sea together.

patches_01.jpg

and a pic of her temporary home, it's not much different, I figured she would do better if things were closer to the same, who knows after 6 years I'd probably want all the change I could get. It is more humid though. :)

patches_02.jpg

I also think this picture illustrates why a standard 55 gallon is just not a good size for this, once you add a hide, food tray and water you loose all your walking room.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Oh she looks good!....how long are you going to quarantine her?..I did mine about a month...then put them all together...I can't wait to get them an outside enclosure when I move!..She's very pretty..I love three toes!!:tort:

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Well she is my only 3 toed so she will be quarantined until I get others and move them in....lol No really the next one's I get will be in May more than likely, they are rescues that will go into quarantine after they come out of hibernation and than given a vet check and all that. So she will have plenty of time to become the boss of the outdoor enclosure.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
ripper7777777 said:
Well she is my only 3 toed so she will be quarantined until I get others and move them in....lol No really the next one's I get will be in May more than likely, they are rescues that will go into quarantine after they come out of hibernation and than given a vet check and all that. So she will have plenty of time to become the boss of the outdoor enclosure.

I wish I could find a deal like you did..I keep checking CL just to see if I find something..maybe if you find another in your area you can ship to me..lol...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.