Adopting a Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello,
I am considering adopting a tort(well if it was up to me I'd adopt one right away but it's up to my parents:eek:) Anyway, I was looking at places to adopt and found this little tort from "Find a Pet" or something. It's age and gender are unknown and it didn't say it's species. Does anyone know what kind it is? Does it look healthy?

Attachments

• 130978382.jpg
    130978382.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 48

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
It's a box turtle--not a tortoise--but I'm not sure what species. @yvonne might know.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty little female ornate box turtle - Terrapene ornata. The eyes look bright, but that's about all I can tell of its health from a picture. It's full grown.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, ornate box turtle. Wow, she looks amazing. I heard that ornate box turtles are the 'delicate' species of box turtle, and you have to be careful with them.
Edit- Her beak looks a little long. If you get her, that can be fixed easily by feeding on a piece of slate.

Colorado
Yes, ornate box turtle. Wow, she looks amazing. I heard that ornate box turtles are the 'delicate' species of box turtle, and you have to be careful with them.
Edit- Her beak looks a little long. If you get her, that can be fixed easily by feeding on a piece of slate.
Alright thanks:) I think I have decided on the little male Russian though. My dad said he'd help me build an enclosure so it looks like I'm getting him! Can't wait!!

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Congrats on your new Russian! May I ask where the Ornate was located, I would love to have her.

Colorado
Congrats on your new Russian! May I ask where the Ornate was located, I would love to have her.
Well, I found him/her on "Adopt A Pet" but I just went to look and can't seem to find her/him. I don't know if he/she got adopted or if I am searching differently than before. I can't remember exactly what I searched before. You could try looking there and see if you can find a little friend. Sorry I couldn't find her for you. I'll look and if I find anything I'll let you know:)

Colorado
I do know that the place that I'm adopting mine from is called Colorado Reptile Humane Society(corhs.org) but I don't know where you live. They might ship them though. Anyway, they have lots of box turtles under adoptable animals and land turtles. I mentioned this but I'm adopting Hector if you see him on there;)