MicroChipping my Sucata Tortoise

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
Would like to know in what part of the body is the safest place for a microchip to be inserted. I've
seen and read about the back leg, but read on this forum about chips coming out. Seen on YouTube that they put the chip in the front shoulder, just wondering which is the safest. I live in Baltimore, MD. Spoke to a Exotic Vet today on the phone about making an appointment. He wants $85.00 for a well care visit and $53.00 for the Microchips, he said he has never chipped a tortoise before, so he going to read up on it and get back to me on Tuesday. I will not be going there. Will look for someone with more experience. Never chipped a Tortoise but advertised " Exotic Vet "

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Would like to know in what part of the body is the safest place for a microchip to be inserted. I've
seen and read about the back leg, but read on this forum about chips coming out. Seen on YouTube that they put the chip in the front shoulder, just wondering which is the safest. I live in Baltimore, MD. Spoke to a Exotic Vet today on the phone about making an appointment. He wants $85.00 for a well care visit and $53.00 for the Microchips, he said he has never chipped a tortoise before, so he going to read up on it and get back to me on Tuesday. I will not be going there. Will look for someone with more experience. Never chipped a Tortoise but advertised " Exotic Vet "
Good Idea on not going with that vet. I think there is a vet list here on the forum you can check out for your area. And I have actually have seen multiple threads on this forum of the micro chips coming out. What if you don’t notice when it comes out? There goes all the sense of security the micro chip was intended for. Good luck!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
For some reason I'm thinking front leg, but honestly I'm not sure why. I don't remember where I heard that.

I know medications are not to be given in the rear leg, ever.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Hello TFO, just wanted to inform everyone that I found another Exotic Vet here in Baltimore MD. ( Warm & Fussy Exotic Vetenary Hospital) The first place I called said that they could microchip Sammy, but they have never done it before and it could only be by a curbside appointment only. There's no way I'm giving up my Sammy too a stranger to take in the building without me! The new Vet said they could do it and it not their first time microchiping a Tortoise and best of all I get to be with him. My appointment is for October 28, I going to ask if they can put the chip in his front right leg. I thing that the front Ieg would be better too minimize the chance of getting infected, will let TFO know how everything goes. Sammy been eating like a pig lately, here's a picture of Sammy after lunch. Just reached over 40lbs. this morning.

Attachments

• 20211003_165746.jpg
    20211003_165746.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20211020_144130.jpg
    20211020_144130.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Hello TFO, just wanted to inform everyone that I found another Exotic Vet here in Baltimore MD. ( Warm & Fussy Exotic Vetenary Hospital) The first place I called said that they could microchip Sammy, but they have never done it before and it could only be by a curbside appointment only. There's no way I'm giving up my Sammy too a stranger to take in the building without me! The new Vet said they could do it and it not their first time microchiping a Tortoise and best of all I get to be with him. My appointment is for October 28, I going to ask if they can put the chip in his front right leg. I thing that the front Ieg would be better too minimize the chance of getting infected, will let TFO know how everything goes. Sammy been eating like a pig lately, here's a picture of Sammy after lunch. Just reached over 40lbs. this morning.
Serious… that vet office is curbside only!!? They need to stop using covid as an excuse for their extreme lack of compassion. Glad you found another! ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Really would recommend the rear leg. We always microchip in rear left upper leg. Easiest to microchip when they are between 1500g - 3000g. Do a search for my post on our vacation and the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance. Pictures of me microchipping some Galapagos there

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Hello TFO, just letting everyone know that Sammy has received his microchip today. The Vet recommended that the chip be placed in the upper right leg, so that is where she put it. No problem or any reaction out of Sammy while receiving the microchip but afterwards, Sammy decided he was going to leave the Doctor a little mess. They weighed him when he want in, he weighed 41 pounds. But after leaving the Doctor a stool sample, he probably left weighing about 40 pounds. They texted his stool and found nothing, everthing negative and no parasites. Was told to give my Tortoise more orange foods to help with more vitamin A intake, carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin. Was told I could give him a Blueberry or two every once and awhile to also help with vitamin A intake, no more than two. Will have to thing about the Blueberries. The vet mentioned how well Sammy was growing, but made a comment about his Carapace looking a little flat, she said it could be more rounded then flat. I thing he looks Dam Good! That is why she suggested more orange food. Let me know what you thing, this is the first time taking Sammy to a Vet. Bill was cheaper than expected, $60.00 for the exam, $35.00 for the microchip. No separate charge for the fecal text.

Attachments

• 20211003_165746.jpg
    20211003_165746.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Looks fine from here -- really need a profile (straight on from the side) pic to judge overall carapace quality.

If you feed dark greens, there's plenty of vitamin A in the diet...

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Looks fine from here -- really need a profile (straight on from the side) pic to judge overall carapace quality.

I told the Vet that he eats collard greens, mustard greens, chicory, fresh green grass, clovers and dandelions. Mazuri LS, Mulberry leaves and many other greens and flowers. Here's a couple side pictures, will get a new picture tomorrow, Sammy has already gone to bed for the night.

Attachments

• 20210801_120355.jpg
    20210801_120355.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20211001_170608.jpg
    20211001_170608.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 17

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Really would recommend the rear leg. We always microchip in rear left upper leg. Easiest to microchip when they are between 1500g - 3000g. Do a search for my post on our vacation and the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance. Pictures of me microchipping some Galapagos there
Mark, what is the reasoning behind left rear leg?
Is there a standard for tortoises?
I helped tag a few hundred sea turtles once and we did pit tags in the front left and visual tags in the front right. I forgot what we did when the limb was missing.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Hello TFO, just letting everyone know that Sammy has received his microchip today. The Vet recommended that the chip be placed in the upper right leg, so that is where she put it. No problem or any reaction out of Sammy while receiving the microchip but afterwards, Sammy decided he was going to leave the Doctor a little mess. They weighed him when he want in, he weighed 41 pounds. But after leaving the Doctor a stool sample, he probably left weighing about 40 pounds. They texted his stool and found nothing, everthing negative and no parasites. Was told to give my Tortoise more orange foods to help with more vitamin A intake, carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin. Was told I could give him a Blueberry or two every once and awhile to also help with vitamin A intake, no more than two. Will have to thing about the Blueberries. The vet mentioned how well Sammy was growing, but made a comment about his Carapace looking a little flat, she said it could be more rounded then flat. I thing he looks Dam Good! That is why she suggested more orange food. Let me know what you thing, this is the first time taking Sammy to a Vet. Bill was cheaper than expected, $60.00 for the exam, $35.00 for the microchip. No separate charge for the fecal text.
Sammy’s diet is great!!

Carrots, sweet potatoes, and blueberries…. Those are great dietary supplements! For dogs….. sounds like a general recommendation and not species specific.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mark, what is the reasoning behind left rear leg?
Is there a standard for tortoises?
I helped tag a few hundred sea turtles once and we did pit tags in the front left and visual tags in the front right. I forgot what we did when the limb was missing.
I've always seen rear legs used for tortoises. Seems much better long term retention in that "thigh" area. Also, learning from my mentor with giant tortoises, he finds it easier to read as the rear thigh area is more exposed when looking for a specific tortoise amongst a group. The upper front limb is covered and protected by the front portion of the leg. Most readers are pretty limited in their range and a front forelimb of a giant tortoise is quite a barrier. Easy to put the reader at the read edge of the carapace and get a reading. There may be more reasons, but he's done several hundred giant tortoises and I'll go by his experience.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I've always seen rear legs used for tortoises. Seems much better long term retention in that "thigh" area. Also, learning from my mentor with giant tortoises, he finds it easier to read as the rear thigh area is more exposed when looking for a specific tortoise amongst a group. The upper front limb is covered and protected by the front portion of the leg. Most readers are pretty limited in their range and a front forelimb of a giant tortoise is quite a barrier. Easy to put the reader at the read edge of the carapace and get a reading. There may be more reasons, but he's done several hundred giant tortoises and I'll go by his experience.
Thank you for your reply, the vet said it would be fine in the front upper leg. She said she always put them in the front,, I believe it just made it easier to inject the microchip. Getting ready to wake Sammy up and check on him.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD

Hello, sorry that I didn't post a profile picture yesterday, Sammy was sleeping most of the time. Finally got up around 6:00 pm., Checked him over to see if everything was ok after his microchiping and everything was fine, couldn't even see where the microchip was inserted.Was surprised yesterday when the Vet called
to do a follow up on Sammy, I thought that was a nice touch! Back to the profile picture and I included a top shot. I measured his Carapace today, 18" long, 13 1/2" wide and 8 1/2" tall. Let me know your opinion.

Attachments

• 20211030_151134.jpg
    20211030_151134.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211030_151055.jpg
    20211030_151055.jpg
    931.3 KB · Views: 8

ZenHerper

New Jersey
He's beautiful!

And not vitamin A deficient (especially with pellets as a supplement). Too much vitamin A can damage the skin and liver. And I would not add any starchy roots or sugary fruit to his diet.

My guess is your veterinary office is confused with recommendations for turtles.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
He's beautiful!

And not vitamin A deficient (especially with pellets as a supplement). Too much vitamin A can damage the skin and liver. And I would not add any starchy roots or sugary fruit to his diet.

My guess is your veterinary office is confused with recommendations for turtles.
I understand that they have their opinions,
but my main purpose was to get him Microchiped. I get most of my advice from here. TFO, what else do you need. I have never read as much about one thing before until I got my Sulcata and joined TFO will not fail with Sammy. I'm retired and I will make sure that Sammy will out live me. I thing I got another 20 yrs. Got my fingers crossed.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
lol

Well, critters make us live at least One More Day, don't they! =))

The confusion with (meat-eating, plant eschewing) turtles and tortoises comes in because the treatment pages in Exotic Formularies are short, and don't always make the distinction GLARINGLY clear ("Chelonian Drugs/ Supplements"). Because pet food companies fund veterinary schools, nutrition is not a primary focus of education (they advertise their products), unless someone has a particular interest in it...but then Exotic/Reptile nutrition is another layer deeper to find. (Plenty of veterinarians don't eat at all well themselves.)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
@dd33 Dustin, just more clarification on your question as you are dealing with Galapagos:

The left upper leg has indeed been standardized as the PIT tag/microchipping site for Galapagos tortoises in the captivity and the wild. There are now several thousand tortoises microchipped in the wild plus those raised at the breeding centers in the Galapagos.

Some microchips do migrate in a few tortoises and if high in the rear leg and the chip migrates, it will usually migrate down the leg where still accessible to read rather than into the abdominal cavity.

One of our fellow directors of the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance while in the Galapagos Islands, was teaching some of the park rangers to microchip in the rear leg.

OF interest:
On the January 2021 expedition to work with C. vandenburghi on Alcedo Volcano, the crews marked 4723 tortoises! 1745 females, 1794 males, and 1184 juveniles! The estimated population of this species is now 12,000-15,000 tortoises! That is considerably more (2x - 3x) than any previous estimates and probably the largest species population in the Galapagos.