Michigan Spring/Summer/Fall Home! [[Pics]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
Okay, so we moved back to michigan and needed an outside play place/house for my 2 lil torts Ted and Gibbs. The bigegr one is Ted, who has been on NC beaches, all the way to CA beaches, that lil guy is a traveler! Anyways, he is 2 1/2 years, and Gibbs the little little one, he is only a year and a half.

The enclosure is 24x12 with a chain link fence against the back, which I will be putting bricks against it, or large boulder/rocks. Its still a work in progress but this is what me and my husband have gotten so far withing 2 days, so its better than it was! haha There is a bed of lettuce/beets/collards/peas planted in the middle somewhere, also im looking for vine plants or something that will grow, im thinking grapes? to put in the box on the right. Pretty sure its going to be grapes, but if you have any suggestions let me know! I am totally open to new ideas!

Also, I'm going to put a little soaking area in the middle off to the right a bit, I seen it in one of the forums here, I cant give credit to whom because i dont remember, but I hope you dont mind im stealing your idea!

There will be more pictures up on this thread when the plants look better, and the pond/soaking area thing is done! Also, thats my husband! haha

Attachments

• 0524132115.jpg
    0524132115.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • 0524132115a.jpg
    0524132115a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 0524132115b.jpg
    0524132115b.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • 0525131436.jpg
    0525131436.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 67
  • 0525131436b.jpg
    0525131436b.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 82
  • 0525131459.jpg
    0525131459.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 58

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am confused why you did not place their enclosure on the grassy area? They do well grazing on grass when it is an option :D

I would make sure of how they get along with one another once the newness of their area wears off....very tough to house a pair together...especially a pair of Sulcatas....

They are both beautiful :tort:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
A grape is a wonderful vine to choose. The leaves are very good for tortoises. They grow very fast, but you can keep them in check. I have one in my enclosure, I cut it back to about 18" in the Fall, and new vines come back yearly. I don't grow it for the grapes, just the leaves.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
ascott said:
I am confused why you did not place their enclosure on the grassy area? They do well grazing on grass when it is an option :D

I would make sure of how they get along with one another once the newness of their area wears off....very tough to house a pair together...especially a pair of Sulcatas....

They are both beautiful :tort:

oh sweets, we bought sulcata grass that we panted there. it just hasnt grown through the dirt yet =] also, this is the 1st time they have been housed together, but e are always outside watching them so if anything happens, we will be there!

And im sure grape leaves will be our choice

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it were my enclosure, I would try to figure out a way to shade the half dog house. Being up off the ground is good, but it still may get a little warm in there with the sun shining on it.

It's a nice size for the two sulcatas for now. I'm wondering if the walls are tall enough.

You've put a lot of work into the new tortoise pen. Looking good!!

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
yvonne the enclosure isn't permanent, but its good for what we need right now, also the half dog house thing is okay, we have a temperature thing in there, it only gets to about 90 in there right now, we plan on moving it when it gets hotter!

thanks for all the feedback guys! Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.