Mega Ray.

Kent B.

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Hello! I got a mega ray mercury vapor bulb two days ago to go in a flukers sun dome. It is for my Hermann’s tortoise Theia. The bulb just went out. It is a 100 watt and was thinking it is too hot. I put the bulb back in after a little while and it turned back on and is fine. I was thinking downsizing to a 75 watt and just wanted to know your opinions. The enclosure is a
2 1/2 by 1 1/2 and the lamp has to be really high above the enclosure(16 in). Should I get a different bulb. I know the dome wasn’t the problem. Should I leave it on all afternoon?the bulb does get really hot and is strong.
-also I am a new tortoise owner and just got my baby Sunday.
IMG_2190.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tortoise is a Russian not a hermanns.
I usually use 100 watts but never the nega Ray's. Just raise it up until it reaches 95-100 under it.

Kent B.

Mississippi
Your tortoise is a Russian not a hermanns.
I usually use 100 watts but never the nega Ray's. Just raise it up until it reaches 95-100 under it.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I don’t know how I didn’t realize. But once the 100 watt bulb runs out, Will a 75 watt work?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It depends. If the area the enclosure is in isnt too cold then the 75 should work.
In my cold basement, I had too add more heat to a closed greenhouse enclosure then I normally have too add when I have the enclosure in my upper living area.

Kent B.

Mississippi
It depends. If the area the enclosure is in isnt too cold then the 75 should work.
In my cold basement, I had too add more heat to a closed greenhouse enclosure then I normally have too add when I have the enclosure in my upper living area.

Alright thanks! That helps. I will probably get the 75 because it is really warm as is. The enclosure is smaller so it stays warmer too.