Meet-up in San Diego, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
So, I'm not a paying member, have no stake in this organization, BUT it is presented as a "public" meeting. I'd like to meet whoever is within a reasonable driving distance based on your interest to drive. Free parking in the park.

Maybe one of you "sulcata pros" can show up and sound check the info dispersed if real live human interaction works for you.

I went to a meeting earlier in the year. What's that thing your mother always told you about saying nothing if nothing good could be said? One other local suggested I give it another shot or two.

Everyone will affect the quality of the information available in that room, some when they enter, some when they leave, Yes? Come along and be one of those who makes the room better by entering.

Oh yeah, it's the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society. . .

Next public meeting,
7PM at Balboa Park,
Friday, September 13th:
EVERYTHING SULCATAS! We will dedicate the night to this popular, giant African tortoise. Details about diet, care, housing challenges... and we'll have plenty of adoptable Sulcatas brought for viewing at the meeting. See you there!

OOOOOHH Friday the 13th, that's gotta make it a draw.

Will

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh would I love to walk in there with one of my smooth 8" year old babies and tell them all about it!!! Sorry Will cant make it tomorrow.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The presentation was directed towards folks that may have never had a pet before, let alone a tortoise. Lots of emphasis on not keeping pairs of males together, not to feed fruit, the kinds of thing that seem to need to be re-stated here frequently. There was a pretty good turnout. All things considered not so bad. My first exposure earlier in the year gave me a very "not good" impression when the speaker said he confused an egg (the image showed a reasonable good looking egg) as a urate mass. So some people may indeed do that, but the guy was sold as knowledgeable on the species. He co-housed them with redfoots (a push in my book, but OK) and hingebacks (not OK by me at all).

There was a big crowd, lots of interest in "free*" tortoises.

Several people took turns at narrating the powerpoint slides, all had that tone that 'rescuers' have, of being held responsible for other peoples' neglect and abandonment of pet tortoises, especially sulcatas. I guess they get it from the shelter folks who don't want to deal with tortoises and would rather focus on pets, like cats and dogs.

Well, I'll post things in this section "Reptile related events" when ever I go somewhere that would be an interesting place to MEET-UP. Do it too, I'd like to meet some of you.

Will

* no such thing as a free tortoise, you know? They all cost to maintain.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
A meet up would be great fun!
I got my CDT from San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society.

Status
Not open for further replies.