Meet the Runt !

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I have not been around as much as I used to be and I don't think you guy's & gals have ever seen my Ackie ! He is a yellow Ackie , Varanus acanthurus also called a Spiny or Ridge Tailed Monitor ! I named him Runt but he doesn't really know he is ! He is really something , they are the smallest of the true Monitors and a really cool little guy !

Runt 24 1.jpg

Runt 21 2.jpg

Runted 3.jpg

Runt 22 4.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Speedy!

I've been interested in theses guys for a long time and I certainly have plenty of insects to feed them. Tell me more about their personality and housing. Can we see the enclosure?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi Speedy!

I've been interested in theses guys for a long time and I certainly have plenty of insects to feed them. Tell me more about their personality and housing. Can we see the enclosure?

Personality - wise , they are smart and inquisitive . But he will never be a sit on your shoulder all day kind of pet ! They are fast and good climbers and need to run around checking everything out ! If they can get it in their mouth , it is food ! Not bashful eaters at all ! He knows when I am bringing food and meets me at the door !

His enclosure is 4 ft. by 2 ft. by 18 inches high . Basking on one end , and I just put in a small radiant heat panel for night heat ! It is all set up on timers . I put a lot of stuff in there because he likes to climb and hide ! here are a few pics ;

01.jpg

02.jpg

Bask.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why did you choose the yellow over the red? Is there much difference as far as you've seen?

Nobody I know has had one of these, so I don't have anyone to ask about them. I've liked them for years but never taken the initiative to make it happen. I'd love to hear anything you'd like to tell us about them.

I've raised all the big ones like waters and blackthroats, and some of the mediums like mangroves, but I've never put hands on the little ones.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Why did you choose the yellow over the red? Is there much difference as far as you've seen?

Nobody I know has had one of these, so I don't have anyone to ask about them. I've liked them for years but never taken the initiative to make it happen. I'd love to hear anything you'd like to tell us about them.

I've raised all the big ones like waters and blackthroats, and some of the mediums like mangroves, but I've never put hands on the little ones.

To be honest Tom , I got the Yellow because it was the first healthy one I found and I have been looking for 2 years ! There isn't really a lot of difference except the color ! They are pretty rare (and pricey) around here . I got him from a guy whose idea of care was throwing a couple pinkey's in his tank once a week ! Nice guy , just too busy ! He was a bit aggressive at first , 4 years old , not fed much and pretty much left alone so that was no surprise to me ! A little TLC and he has calmed right down . They are small but their attitude is not ! I have treated him with respect and he has responded well !

Runt 50.jpg