Meet Carlos, Does he have MBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
Ok this is Carlos and his brother Henry i bought them from a breeder that said Carlos (the smaller one) was a special sulcata because heis mother stepped on the egg so whats can be wrong with him ive had them for a year now and Carlos doesnt seem to grow but Henry has grown twice his size if not 3x more. Any help will be appreciated and by the way he always has his left eye shut i think hes blind from that eye. He does eat but not as much as my other baby his size.

Attachments

• Picture 798 (Small).jpg
    Picture 798 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Picture 800 (Small).jpg
    Picture 800 (Small).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Picture 796 (Small).jpg
    Picture 796 (Small).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 120

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Doesn't look like MBD to me, but he's pretty small to see it at this stage. I would get the eye ointment and apply it to the closed eye three or four times a day. They have a hard time focusing in on the food with only one eye. In the meantime, place his food, cut up small, up against a wall so that when he bites at it, it can't move away from him. He sure is pretty. I wish they would keep that light coloration and not get the brown lines. I hope he gets better. I love Carlos!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with what Yvonne told you. I also noticed one thing from your pics. It likes like you use some sand in your substrate mix. He could be impacted even though the other one isn't. I'd change the substrate and soak him every day for a while to help anything in there pass.

This might not be your problem, but it is a possibility.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Oh thank you i love Carlos alot to hes my favorate out of my 8 sullys. Oh and Yes the substrate is 50/50 mix of sand and coconut coir

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The ointment Yvonne is likely speaking of is terramycin. You might be able to find it at a feed store, or else you can find it easily online. If you aren't already, you should separate this one from the others at least at feedings (preferably at all times due to bullying, even if you don't see any signs of it, it could be occurring) to make sure he gets all he wants to eat. Wow how do you house 8 sullys? Good luck!

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Hi! I have only had 1 Sulcata, Mortimer, but was curious to look at your pic's. In the third pic when they are both together, I can see an irregularity in Carlos's shell pattern. There is a specific number of shutes that comprise the shell and if you count, Carlos seems to have some extra marginal [the shutes on the R and L sides] shutes and the last vertibral shute [near the tail] appears to have a "little" dent. Maybe this is why [ along with a food competition thing] he isn't growing quite as fast as his brother, or it could just be the picture angle. From articles that I have read, this kind of irregular pattern come from a "how he developed in the egg-thing" and would not be a problem since he is still doing "normal" Sulcata things for as long as you have had him. Maybe if you separate him and give a little more attention, he will catch-up in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.