Meet Caligula the russian tort! (Cal for short)

Location (City and/or State)
Bel Air, Maryland United States
ij5ik8
Hi, im a first time tort owner i was at a reptile supply store when i saw Caligula looking pretty neglected (one eye crusted shut and not moving all that much) so i asked if he was for sale and took my new buddy home! so far i have a 50 gallon plastic bin he lives in with mulch substrate as a flooring and let him soak 25 minutes a day in his mini tub. i also have him under a heat lamp 12 hours a day and a regular uv lamp aswell. ive been feeding him weeds from my garden and lettuce occasionally. but thats all i really know as far as caring for torts any info would be great i dont want to neglect him for sure

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ij5ik8
Hi, im a first time tort owner i was at a reptile supply store when i saw Caligula looking pretty neglected (one eye crusted shut and not moving all that much) so i asked if he was for sale and took my new buddy home! so far i have a 50 gallon plastic bin he lives in with mulch substrate as a flooring and let him soak 25 minutes a day in his mini tub. i also have him under a heat lamp 12 hours a day and a regular uv lamp aswell. ive been feeding him weeds from my garden and lettuce occasionally. but thats all i really know as far as caring for torts any info would be great i dont want to neglect him for sure

That is a great story and a great start....I would not do too much change up while he is settling in...how is his crusty eye now?

EdMurphy

Minnesota
Welcome and congrats on the new tort.
There's a lot of good information on this site, be sure to visit the section for the russians to help you get setup.
And Pictures, I think we all love pictures!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the form!

We’d love to see some enclosure pics, once you’ve read the links above. He’s going to need more space.

Probably best to create a new thread under “Enclosures” when you get that far.