Greetings from So Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broda805

5 Year Member
Greetings! just found this site recently and its AWESOME! great info all around with great people.

new owner of a baby cherryhead been tweaking his home ever since i got him (a week ago) fun stuff so far named him Barnabas

Barnabas.jpg

getting out of his water pan

barnabishome.jpg

just added some plants for shade and humidity they are in a planter box i made screwed into the sides angled so its wider at the top to maximize tortoise space :p the encloser right now is 16"x52" with the warm end around 85-90F and the cool end ~72F degrees.

Hes getting leafy greens and some fruit every 3rd day or so hes eatting well as far as i can tell.

one thing though, theres that green spot on him from the breeder looks like paint or something like that, should i just wait for it come off over time?

any input advice or suggestions would be great

thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Welcome to the forum and thanks so much for posting pics on your very first post! Woo hoo!

Your enclosure looks great to me, but I'm no redfoot expert. I've been talking about redfoots with Terry K. (Redfoot NERD) and he's got a ton of knowledge and experience with ALL ages of your species. He knows all about them literally from egg to breeding adult. There are some great threads from him and others in the redfoot section.

Broda805

5 Year Member
quite possibly the most active forms ive ever been on :p

flapjack torts

5 Year Member
Welcome from a fellow SoCal-er ;) Love his name! He's so cute and his enclosure looks awesome!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome always nice to meet another tort lover from Socal.

BlackMountain412

5 Year Member
Nice tortoise and nice setup you got!

I am new as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong I heard they don't really need a basking spot. A temperature around 65-75 is ok for them?

dmmj said:
Welcome always nice to meet another tort lover from Socal.

oops I made a newbie mistake and quote someone.. Sorry about that :p
I hit the wrong reply box. :(

Broda805

5 Year Member
yeah i read that they dont need a basking spot but its a all in one bulb (heat, light, uvb) i have so i may as well make use of the darn expensive thing i made sure there was plenty of shade where he wont have to take it directly. alot of articles ive read said although they need much direct light they still need a temp gradient starting in the upper 80's so thats what ive been going off of

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Broda805 (May we know your name?):

1239582fjn8x8pzr0.gif
to the forum!!

Broda805

5 Year Member
Names JJ

the GF loved the lil guy and got him a buddy from the same breeder earlier this week

phoddto.jpg

our new addition the Gf named Archi seems to roam around more and he doesnt like to go into the hides is this normal? (only had him for 2 nights) he just gets snug in the sphag moss next to one of the planter boxes and sleeps there.

ive read that misting them is really good for growth and prevents pyramiding so ive been misting Barnabas(smaller cherryhead) often few times a day he kinda just sits there and tucks in his head if any droplets get on his face but no big deal to him, When i try to mist Archi he gets freaked out and runs away any suggestions? he doesnt like to get misted and doesnt like to get into the humid hides :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.