Medicare fraud. How in the world?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Someone started a Medicare account online in my name on my account on the 15th of this month. And CMS sent me a notification which I received today and so of course I called. It's cancelled but how could they do that!? In the first place! The only people that have that info is my doctors, pharmacy, and etc I don't go online with that kind of info or give it over the phone. Medicare couldn't tell me who started it. That's even scarier..

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yep. No one's been able to start an account for me before. And the time they were able was Medicare and Medicare doesn't know where it came from!!!!! What's up with that????? I'm not sure what to do at this point.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Someone started a Medicare account online in my name on my account on the 15th of this month. And CMS sent me a notification which I received today and so of course I called. It's cancelled but how could they do that!? In the first place! The only people that have that info is my doctors, pharmacy, and etc I don't go online with that kind of info or give it over the phone. Medicare couldn't tell me who started it. That's even scarier..
Your info is online. You just can't get to it because you haven't opened an account to get it, but it's all on line

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Your info is online. You just can't get to it because you haven't opened an account to get it, but it's all on line
Yes I know so maybe they need to get a grip on reality. I don't put my stuff online so who do they think they are to make all that available to someone other than me and them.. should I be terrified going to my doctor now because he'll share my personal information like that. I was suspicious when my doctors were forced to start using online medical records and now I know I was right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes I know so maybe they need to get a grip on reality. I don't put my stuff online so who do they think they are to make all that available to someone other than me and them.. should I be terrified going to my doctor now because he'll share my personal information like that. I was suspicious when my doctors were forced to start using online medical records and now I know I was right.
Unfortunately we all are at risk. Yes, we all should be concerned. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it. Your credit can be protected and monitored by a place like Life Lock. Of course you have to pay for it. You can call credit bureau and put a freeze on your credit. But as for health records, I know of nothing.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Unfortunately we all are at risk. Yes, we all should be concerned. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it. Your credit can be protected and monitored by a place like Life Lock. Of course you have to pay for it. You can call credit bureau and put a freeze on your credit. But as for health records, I know of nothing.
This is the first time anyone has succeeded in hacking me . And medical records are supposedly protected by the so called heppa laws so what happened? How did Medicare allow an online account get started without me doing it? And why can't they see where it originated from? I called them and it was deactivated but I want to know who did this in the first place. I think I have the right to know that information.

Nsav

Robbinsville NJ
This is the first time anyone has succeeded in hacking me . And medical records are supposedly protected by the so called heppa laws so what happened? How did Medicare allow an online account get started without me doing it? And why can't they see where it originated from? I called them and it was deactivated but I want to know who did this in the first place. I think I have the right to know that information.
Another option is to file a police report in the county which you reside for identity theft, which is a crime under the penal law. Local police can work with the county district attorneys office and subpoena the subscriber of the person who created the account under your name without your permission or authority based off of the IP address of the impersonator. Of course, if the imposter used a public wifi account, then it’s impossible to trace. But if he/she did this at their home, then the police can get the anccount information from the internet provider.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It could have been a business like a nursing home that set up the account accidentally or on purpose. I know first hand a little about Medicare fraud .My wife did the books for a nursing home in Maryland some time back. To make a long story short she quit a $50 an hour job instead of signing off on what the owner wanted her to verify. He was eventually convicted of Medicare fraud. For what he was doing he should have gone to jail but he just got a fine. More to me point about medical records on line. A couple years ago I got a phone call from supposedly a government agency and they asked how I was feeling about some of my past medical problems. The second question was about my shoulder, that's when I realized it was a scam call. I stopped on my way home from work one day to get a cortisone shot many years ago. Scams are everywhere, last year my electric company called and told me they were going to cut my power if I didn't pay overdue bills immediately. Well I knew it wasn't from the power company and a scam because I'm on an auto pay plan. Another thing, I stopped by a Walgreens to get something one day and as I was checking out I noticed that they had some non filtered cigarettes which I hadn't seen for a long time. So I was going to get a pack thinking it would be nice to bring back some old memories from the past. She asked for my driver's license and I laughed and said do I look under age to buy them (I'm in my 70s) and she said no I need to scan it. Needless to say I didn't have any good old memories from when I first started smoking that day. I'll just have to roll my own again. I quit going to the doctor before the pandemic hit, and have no intention of making another doctor's appointment again. I'll go to the emergency room or emergency clinic from now on. Which I've done twice since I cancelled the doctors.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What everyone needs to do is never say Yes, or any word, phrase, that can be taken as a Yes over the phone. Never give personal info over the phone unless you know 100% the caller is legit.
Same with text, emails, etc. Always go to Google and look up the business/caller, instead of answering any form of communication over phone, text etc
Most phone scammers are not within the USA. Most scamming businesses, are not in the US. This is what makes it harder for anyone to know where "It" came from or able to do much about them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They can do this, they can do more. You need to call the Credit Bureaus, and check on any new activity to be sure there hasn't been any you didn't do and then lock your credit.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes to all the above. I think I'm going to pay for LifeLock or one of those type of companies. The reason I'm shocked is because I don't answer phone calls if I don't know the number. I don't open emails or texts from anyone I don't know. I've only shared my Medicare account number in person or to my part d insurance company and that was only 2 times by phone. So also yes no one is safe. I may even lock my Social Security number. I'm not sure but this much I do know this had to be a hack through my medical insurance providers somehow. I can't help but think that the at&t thing with the net a couple of days ago has to do with it. My brother's part d was affected. I couldn't refill one of his eye drops because his part d insurance couldn't access the net. I was told by the pharmacy that the problem was worldwide. Also my son had a problem with CVS. I don't believe for one second it just was a glitch. AT&T has been vulnerable for years because they have been writing off hacks for years and just get their money back by charging more money for their service.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes to all the above. I think I'm going to pay for LifeLock or one of those type of companies. The reason I'm shocked is because I don't answer phone calls if I don't know the number. I don't open emails or texts from anyone I don't know. I've only shared my Medicare account number in person or to my part d insurance company and that was only 2 times by phone. So also yes no one is safe. I may even lock my Social Security number. I'm not sure but this much I do know this had to be a hack through my medical insurance providers somehow. I can't help but think that the at&t thing with the net a couple of days ago has to do with it. My brother's part d was affected. I couldn't refill one of his eye drops because his part d insurance couldn't access the net. I was told by the pharmacy that the problem was worldwide. Also my son had a problem with CVS. I don't believe for one second it just was a glitch. AT&T has been vulnerable for years because they have been writing off hacks for years and just get their money back by charging more money for their service.
So sorry this happened. I know the feeling. Such an invasion of your personal self.
Years ago, before we even had Internet or cell phones, my hub was hacked 3 different times over about 10 years or so. The one time we went to the address one of the places had given us. On his mail box was my hubs name. It was such a a creepy feeling. I felt invaded seeing my hubs name on someone else's mail box. My hub does not have a common name. Also the only other members in the US with his last name are relatives. The cops couldn't do anything. We filed a complaint with the USPS and by their disinterest, I doubt they did anything. If they did we never heard.
I don't know if it's safer to have your accounts activated on line or not. I like that I can check on them at any time I want, not having to wait for a statement in the mail to know something is wrong. You might want to look into it and give it a thought. Your info is out there anyway for the scammers to get, you might as well get to them too.
Good luck. Hope nothing else pops up.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So sorry this happened. I know the feeling. Such an invasion of your personal self.
Years ago, before we even had Internet or cell phones, my hub was hacked 3 different times over about 10 years or so. The one time we went to the address one of the places had given us. On his mail box was my hubs name. It was such a a creepy feeling. I felt invaded seeing my hubs name on someone else's mail box. My hub does not have a common name. Also the only other members in the US with his last name are relatives. The cops couldn't do anything. We filed a complaint with the USPS and by their disinterest, I doubt they did anything. If they did we never heard.
I don't know if it's safer to have your accounts activated on line or not. I like that I can check on them at any time I want, not having to wait for a statement in the mail to know something is wrong. You might want to look into it and give it a thought. Your info is out there anyway for the scammers to get, you might as well get to them too.
It's worth it to me to pay for the help I'll get to take care of it now. I've seen people try to fight id theft on their own and it's not worth all the leg work. I found an agency that I like that does more than what LifeLock does and I get a VPN with it to boot 😊. I'll be able to watch some programs recommended by people here on TFO. (Joe's mum and CarolM to name a couple 🤗🙏 if they post again 😘) Depending on what I want it'll probably be about $100 or so a year. It's AURA. I haven't decided yet. The top tier for me would be $20 a month or less if I pay by the year.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks and I agree the USPS hasn't been fighting either. They just roll over and play dead. My poor son got several notifications from the draft saying he was derelict in signing up for the draft. The problem was the computer generated a new name for him somehow someway and that person didn't exist.plus he was a minor. When I tried to tell the USPS or even anyone they thought I was stupid to be concerned. That was back in the 90's.and the beats been going on anyway 🙃

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
That really sucks.

For us I'm certain the insurance companies sells your information. I'm not the breadwinner in the family my husband is. I'm on his insurance through work. They do not have much of my information. Then all of a sudden I get emails, which should not be connected to anything insurance related. These emails will be about trials for research and asthma, or some other crap. They are clearly from my medical history and the insurance company shared info with someone. So because I'm listed as having asthma with my doctor (maybe they sell your info too). I get these emails.

My husband gets all sorts of letters in the mail about medicare this and medicare that, but he's nowhere near being old enough for medicare. Now it has me wondering if someone did something similar with his name. I'm going to have to make him get off his butt and investigate.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
That really sucks.

For us I'm certain the insurance companies sells your information. I'm not the breadwinner in the family my husband is. I'm on his insurance through work. They do not have much of my information. Then all of a sudden I get emails, which should not be connected to anything insurance related. These emails will be about trials for research and asthma, or some other crap. They are clearly from my medical history and the insurance company shared info with someone. So because I'm listed as having asthma with my doctor (maybe they sell your info too). I get these emails.

My husband gets all sorts of letters in the mail about medicare this and medicare that, but he's nowhere near being old enough for medicare. Now it has me wondering if someone did something similar with his name. I'm going to have to make him get off his butt and investigate.

Its possible his age was entered wrong somewhere so theres a 'profile' in some database that says he's much older. I've had the same problem for like 8 years. He's lucky its just mail; I get spam calls and even had someone come to the house to try to sign me up for some sort of medicare program.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Its possible his age was entered wrong somewhere so theres a 'profile' in some database that says he's much older. I've had the same problem for like 8 years. He's lucky its just mail; I get spam calls and even had someone come to the house to try to sign me up for some sort of medicare program.
Good to know

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That really sucks.

Just wait until you really get Medicare. What erks me is the commercials comparing people my age to just being grouchy. When Martha says stop calling me or I'm not calling!!! I relate totally. Just call me Martha because I've changed my name. STOP CALLING. DON'T SHOW up at my door uninvited. If you send me junk mail thanks. I'll use it to start a 🔥