Me and my new pet (help with cares and ID)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriram

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I was given turtle/tortoise a day ago from a relative who know i love turtles. I so happy to have it as a pet, BUT i do not know what kind he is, and how to care for him. Can someone please help me so that i can make my new pet happy. So far I have his a big plastic box(open on top) Ive put animal bark and a small thing of water. I feed him lettuce, carrots, apples, and celery, But it seems to only eat the lettuce. I really want to take good care of the creature, so PLEASE someone help me. I want to know what kind he is, and how I can take good care of him.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 46

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
RE: Me and my new pet

That is one of the North American box turtles, I believe an Ornate (Terrepena ornata) but I am not as up on the boxies as I used to be.

Beyond that, I am going to let others help out...

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Looks like an ornate 2 me to. Did he just come out of hibernation because those guys do hibernate. This time of year would be the time they would come up out of hibernation. Im sure he would love some snails or earthworms, Any kind of berry, I use to have 6 ornates

M

Maggie Cummings

Oh boy, that looks like a very old wild Ornata to me. So he'd like melon and strawberries and worms and super worms or slugs. He'd probably eat most kinds of bugs and the melons and berries, black berries and blueberries not apples or carrots or celery
here's a link to give you a good list of food for him...

http://aboxturtle.com/

eriram

5 Year Member
NEW TORT PARENT AND I NEED HELP!!

HELP I just became a parent of a new turtle/tortoise!!

I dont know what kind it is or how to properly care for it, Can someone please help this new parent
and give me some info on what kind he is, I've searched online and i cant find one similar to it!! I really want to make my new pet happy so Please any help will do.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 33

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I am leaning more towards a three toed box turtle....or a ttbt/ornate cross....could you get a pic of the back feet please?

M

Maggie Cummings

jojodesca said:
I am leaning more towards a three toed box turtle....or a ttbt/ornate cross....could you get a pic of the back feet please?

I maybe jumped the gun on this one because my TTBT has a carapace pattern exactly like that one only brown.

2sulcata3boxers

5 Year Member
Looks like a box turtle to me. Mine eat mostly slugs ,worms, snails, strawberries, melons, Rolly Polly, & apples

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Also if you can get a few pics all the way around...and the face...we might be able to tell you a gender too......looks like the shell either has shell rot, or dog attack wounds....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: NEW TORT PARENT AND I NEED HELP!!

Box turtle, western box turtle I believe.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Welcome to the Forum :D

Beautiful...where did you come across this beauty? What part of the world are you in? :D

Cadance

5 Year Member

I am new to tortoises myself so I am not sure what kind yours is but I wanted to say hello and welcome :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Hello and welcome to the forum...

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota

Welcome :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi eriram:

Welcome to the Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

And may we know where in the world you are?

I'm pretty sure what you have there is a Terrapene ornata luteola, or Western box turtle. The damage on the shell is old dog chew marks. And by the size of the back leg, I'm leaning towards male.

eriram

5 Year Member
eriram said:
Hi guys,

I was given turtle/tortoise a day ago from a relative who know i love turtles. I so happy to have it as a pet, BUT i do not know what kind he is, and how to care for him. Can someone please help me so that i can make my new pet happy. So far I have his a big plastic box(open on top) Ive put animal bark and a small thing of water. I feed him lettuce, carrots, apples, and celery, But it seems to only eat the lettuce. I really want to take good care of the creature, so PLEASE someone help me. I want to know what kind he is, and how I can take good care of him.

Attachments

• shel2.jpg
    shel2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
  • She1.jpg
    She1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 17
  • mail.jpeg
    mail.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 17

eriram

5 Year Member
mail.jpegmail.jpegShe1.jpgshel2.jpg
eriram said:
Hi guys,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.