Mazuri in the house! and I've got questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Alright,

I just got four gallon zip lock bags FULL of Mazuri diet! Now, I offered Nigel a piece dry, and he looked at me like I was trying to feed him rocks. He had more zeal attempting to eat my fingers!

But, I spritzed it with a little water, set it down on his tile and voila! There he was chowing down. He jumped a little when I leaned in and said something to him, it looked like he thought he was being caught with his hands in the cookie jar!

Now, here is my question, how often, and how much should he have it?

I was thinking once a week, along with his greens. Spritzed with water to soften it a bit, and about five pieces. Does that sound right?

Also, I wouldn't mind getting rid of at least one other bag of the stuff, and if somebody wants it, and wants to pay shipping, I will give it to them for that. :p I have no room in my freezer for pizza anymore!

And if I find out that Nigel, or Anouk shouldn't have it that much, maybe two bags will go.....

How often should hatchlings have it?

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
I dont really know much about that stuff so i really cant help you.... But from reading back logged posts i have actually heard really good things.... If you still feel like getting rid of a bag drop me a pm so i can figure out how to get the money to you... But make sure u add how much it is worth to the shipping.... I dont want you losing anything

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You put it in a bowl of water for about 45 seconds then drain off the water. I use it once a week.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
How often you want to use it is more of a personal decision--there are extremes to it. I do once a week or so to supplement, and if I go away for a weekend I'd probably leave some out. It's also good to have on hand for an emergency like I couldn't go out to buy fresh greens. Trevor only eats one pellet at a time, lol.

I get the pellet wet, and then microwave it a few seconds. For Trevor, I break it up with my fingers into little chunks since once it dries up again (he eats after I leave for the day) he won't be able to bite it. For Nigel you probably don't have to do much of the breaking it up but when you get Anouk you might have to.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
so far I have offered it about 3 days a week to shelly, moistened and crumbled and I don't think she has touched it so far. But I only bought one bag off of ebay so I still have room for pizza!!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I was wondering, can they eat it when it is dry or could it be dangerous that they could choke on the piece?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Mine eat it dry now. but they are bigger torts.. Sulcatas.. sometimes they crunch it and sometimes. not. To moisten it i put some in a cup put water in and pout out.. that fast.. it soaks up water really fast!
I like to use it when i dont have time to pick weeds or as a treat 2 x a week or so.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Laura said:
Mine eat it dry now. but they are bigger torts.. Sulcatas.. sometimes they crunch it and sometimes. not. To moisten it i put some in a cup put water in and pout out.. that fast.. it soaks up water really fast!
I like to use it when i dont have time to pick weeds or as a treat 2 x a week or so.

Thanks Laura :D

M

Maggie Cummings

I feed it to Bob about 3 times a week and I moisten it for him. I won't use it when he can go out and graze but because it's still winter here and I am giving him grocery store greens a few times a week sometimes he gets really runny poop and Mazuri firms up his poop right away...

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I fed Mazuri around 3 times a week as well. I usually just poured it out onto the feeding saucer (terra cotta planter saucers) and sprayed it with my water mister, let it set for a minute then put it down in the pen/cage. Never had anyone have a problem with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.