Mazuri eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgekathe

5 Year Member
GeeBee seems well, is growing and trots around his outdoor enclosure happily, but does not seem to want to eat much more than Mazuri. He does eat fruit - loves tomatoes - which I give him every 3 days, & wolfs down the 6 grams of protein I give him - chicken breast or more likely scrambled egg - which I only give him once a week or so.
However, he barely touches greens - either decent lettuce or collards. I've tried not feeding him a day, but feel bad if I don't feed him every day so break down after a day of fast & give him greens, which he'll pick a way at a bit then leave. I repeat this proceedure for a couple or 3 days & he'll do the same & then I give him Mazuri which he devours as if starved.
Anyone with any advice, please? Do I have to starve him a few days or what to get him to eat a varied diet & if so, do I have to keep on doing that, or what?

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
You could just not give him the mazuri for a while or give less mazuri and more of the other stuff. Also don't feel bad if you don't feed him it's not like geebee's a human they can go a while without food :3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mazuri isn't something that tortoises absolutely MUST eat. Its handy that they'll eat it for when greens are scarce, but not a necessity.

If it were me feeding a redfoot, I would make a nice arrangement of different kinds of greens on the feeding tile and go away and leave him alone for the rest of the day. The next day, I'd remove any uneaten, rotten food and make a new, fresh arrangement of greens, and this time a bit of tomato on top (or whatever fruit you have for the day). I'd continue on like this changing it out for fresh every day, and going every other day with fruit. Once a week, I'd add some animal protein to the mix.

If he doesn't eat, then he goes hungry that day. Believe me, they won't starve themselves.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Yvonne, I never even heard of Mazuri until I joined the forum. My Sulcata has only been eating it since April, but if I don't feed it, he will eat what ever else is available.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tomatoes are fine occasionally, but not as a main choice.

Go with Yvonne's bit- just greens for a week. It will switch over easier than you think. Missing a day for a healthy tortoise is like going a few hours between meals for a human.

There are a lot of food ideas and links to more at http://www.tortoiselibrary.com

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
try different kinds of greens. I know my RFs are picky about the greens they eat. Also throw in a Hibiscus leaf with the greens and see if you can spark their interest that way. What type of enclosure do you have? I find that mine don't always eat the grocery greens I put in the enclosure, because they have been munching on their enclosure plants...which are all edible. I am sure if you just play around with it, you will come up with a green veggie that they will eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.