Mating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Let's say I have 1 girl and 1 boy. Is it 100% possible that they will mate? Do they have thoughts and feelings like humans do when it comes down to mating? Or do they just mate because it's what they have to do? Different topic but, is it possible that a tortoise can be a hermaphrodite?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know if there is scientific proof, but here's my story:

My friend had a herd of appaloosa horses consisting of 8 mares and one stallion. My friend's husband allowed pasture breeding. Of the 8 mares, there was one who acted very "stallion-ish" and always picked fights with the resident stallion, and whenever a mare came into heat she would try to mount that mare. The "stallion-mare" never came into heat. These people weren't big into vet visits, so we never knew for sure, but my guess was that this mare was born with male instincts and internal parts, but with female external parts.

Stands to reason, that if it happens in some species it probably happens in all species.

Yvonne

In response to the first part of your question, I have three female and one male Manouria emys phayrei. The male much prefers one particular female and pesters her a lot. He eventually breeds all of them, but really goes after this one. I think they have preferences.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
They dont think of feel like humans do. O h Honey sweety, come sit on my lap...
I agree with Yvonne with her answer above.
All species are different. Cheetahs for one.. it took YEARS! for them to be bred in captivity. cats how hard is that? There are ferals everywhere.. well... females are picky.. it took a accident at a facility years ago that proved they like to choose thier mates. Siblings living together dont breed. Seperate them and reunite... it might..
As far as male female issues.. when we see 'gay behavior' say.. in dogs.. female mounting a fem or male, or male to male.. its usually a Dominance issue and Not a sexual one . and of course hormones can be off in either sex.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That's pretty interesting stuff, kind of makes you wish you were a mind reader lol.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Just to answer your question :p Yes if you have an adult male and female sulcata they will 100% mate, unless there is something physically that would prevent the male from doing so, ie the female didn't grow well and her rear marginals are flared so much that a male can't get close enough to copulate.
No there are no feelings involved in tortoises, just the overwhelming need in the males to reproduce to carry on the species.
Yes it's possible to have a hermaphrodite tortoise.

Danny

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Just to answer your question :p Yes if you have an adult male and female sulcata they will 100% mate, unless there is something physically that would prevent the male from doing so, ie the female didn't grow well and her rear marginals are flared so much that a male can't get close enough to copulate.
No there are no feelings involved in tortoises, just the overwhelming need in the males to reproduce to carry on the species.
Yes it's possible to have a hermaphrodite tortoise.

Danny
Would it still be possible for that hermaphrodite tortoise to mate and reproduce?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If it was a true hermaphrodite, than no it wouldn't be possible for that tortoise to reproduce.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.