Marginated Tortoises

EllieMG

3 years ago I bought 2 tortoises and was told that they were both girls, however it seems that now they've grown, one is a boy. Now I'm worried about them mating and I was wondering what age can marginated tortoises have babies?

EllieMG

I probably will once they can mate, but I can't find anywhere how old they are when they can

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I probably will once they can mate, but I can't find anywhere how old they are when they can
I'm happy to see they've done great as a pair. Usually it's recommended not to keep torts in pairs. Good luck and I'm sure someone can give you the info to help you out.

BILBO-03

3 years ago I bought 2 tortoises and was told that they were both girls, however it seems that now they've grown, one is a boy. Now I'm worried about them mating and I was wondering what age can marginated tortoises have babies?
It's not as much the age it's the size how big are yours ?

EllieMG

Yeah I just recently found that out D: but I bought them as babies and they are siblings so have always been together and there doesn't seem to be any problems. The only thing is that the one that is female is quite a bit smaller than the male. Is that normal for marginated tortoises?

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Yeah I just recently found that out D: but I bought them as babies and they are Dubois so have always been together and there doesn't seem to be any problems. The only thing is that the one that is female is quite a bit smaller than the male. Is that normal for marginated tortoises?

We have several very "experienced" members on the board that keep marginated I'm sure one will post shortly and that can help you out. If you post some pictures it may speed up things. They may tell you if both are male.

EllieMG

It's not as much the age it's the size how big are yours ?
The bigger one (male) is 510g, 18cm length X 17cm width
He smaller one (female) is 330g, 15cm length X 14cm width

Attachments

• IMG_3799.JPG
    IMG_3799.JPG
    626.7 KB · Views: 52

EllieMG

We have several very "experienced" members on the board that keep marginated I'm sure one will post shortly and that can help you out. If you post some pictures it may speed up things. They may tell you if both are male.
Thank you so much :)

EllieMG

The first picture is the smaller tortoise

Attachments

• IMG_3801.JPG
    IMG_3801.JPG
    890.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3803.JPG
    IMG_3803.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It definitely appears as though you have a pair. The larger is a male without a doubt. Temperature sexing is never 100% so, it's no surprise that this has happened. Female Marginateds are not the easiest to produce anyway.

I would watch them closely and see how it goes. While pairs many times do not work out, many times they absolutely do. Without competition from another male, your male may "behave" himself more.

EllieMG

It definitely appears as though you have a pair. The larger is a male without a doubt. Temperature sexing is never 100% so, it's no surprise that this has happened. Female Marginateds are not the easiest to produce anyway.

I would watch them closely and see how it goes. While pairs many times do not work out, many times they absolutely do. Without competition from another male, your male may "behave" himself more.
Thank you so much, so do you think they could mate at this point? If they do I don't have the knowledge of what to do so i want to avoid it if possible

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
They most likely will breed especially since T. marginata is the most prolific of the Testudo tortoises but not at this age/size. They have much growing to do.

Our females didn't start laying until they were around 2,000 grams. Our biggest male is 5,800 grams. Males of course come into maturity sooner so just keep an eye out. They can start "investigating" very young.

EllieMG

They most likely will breed especially since T. marginata is the most prolific of the Testudo tortoises but not at this age/size. They have much growing to do.

Our females didn't start laying until they were around 2,000 grams. Our biggest male is 5,800 grams. Males of course come into maturity sooner so just keep an eye out. They can start "investigating" very young.
Thank you so much! I've noticed that he sniffs her legs and follows her around sometimes, but I haven't seen any biting.
Also, if they do breed, will the babies be healthy as they are siblings?