Marginated Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
Has anyone raised marginateds since hatchling size? My two seem to be growing super fast. Compared to my baby greeks. They were all born late 07 and the Marginateds are getting huge, quick.

Is this to be expected?

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What are you feeding them? How much and how offten?

I didnt raise my two male marginateds but I dont think they grow faster then other tortoises.

As long as you arent over feeding then you should be alright.
But slow and steady is not just for tortoises that are in a race, its the best way for them to grow also.

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
The do eat daily (mixed greens, occasional squash, cactus, lots of grass and weeds/dandilions ) and they roam around a huge pen. They have full access to calcium powder and cuttle bones. And they live outside here in Sunny Socal. They eat the exact same thing as my baby greeks (and same amount), which is about a handfull of chopped greens for the pair. I am concerned only because my baby greeks are only about half the size. Please note that they all have very smooth, even shell growth. My marginateds are ALWAYS hungry. They seem to beg for more. I dont give it to them. I just didnt know if they normally grow faster than greeks. I want them to grow a slow a possible, but maybe this is normal.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Eric they do grow faster than Greeks do. :D Especially when they are very young. They will slow down the older they get.
As long as your growth is smooth and the shells are domed. I wouldn't worry about it :D

Danny

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
thanks, I glad to hear that. Their growth is almost a quick as a sulcata! The shells are very smooth and very domed. They look great.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
I've had mine (CB 2007) for only about a month, and I can see about 0.05mm of growth around each scute already. I'm amazed at their rate of growth.

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
There are some pics of them posted in the "photo and video" section. The post is named "NEW THREAD", I posted it in this forum a couple of days ago, but it got moved.
Those pics are a couple of months old, I'll try to get some new ones up ASAP.
I've read tons of stuff about marginateds, but I'm glad to hear from people with hands on expierence with these little guys. Not too many people have them.
THANKS EVERYONE!

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
sushisurf13 said:
Not too many people have them.

And I wonder why, as they are extremely personable and are absolutely gorgeous! They seem to be more popular in Europe, but apparently their popularity hasn't quite caught on in the states.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi,

I have 5 6year old marginatas that I have raised from hatchlings, & 5 or so Russians the same age. They live outdoors & hibernate. Eat all natural foods that I grow.
The marginatas are twice the size of the russians. My largest russian the same age is about 5" while the largest marginata is about 9".
There is no pyramiding on any of them, all smooth shelled.

Dan
Concord, CA

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
KQ6AR said:
Hi,

I have 5 6year old marginatas that I have raised from hatchlings, & 5 or so Russians the same age. They live outdoors & hibernate. Eat all natural foods that I grow.
The marginatas are twice the size of the russians. My largest russian the same age is about 5" while the largest marginata is about 9".
There is no pyramiding on any of them, all smooth shelled.

Dan
Concord, CA

That's great to know - I'm getting ready to put my two yearling marginated tortoises into an outdoor enclosure (http://tortoiseforum.org/outdoor-enclosure-for-my-marginated-tortoises-t-3423.html) where they'll hibernate and get the environmental conditions they need to keep from developing pyramiding.

L Gebauer

5 Year Member
sushisurf13 said:
There are some pics of them posted in the "photo and video" section. The post is named "NEW THREAD", I posted it in this forum a couple of days ago, but it got moved.
Those pics are a couple of months old, I'll try to get some new ones up ASAP.
I've read tons of stuff about marginateds, but I'm glad to hear from people with hands on expierence with these little guys. Not too many people have them.
THANKS EVERYONE!

Where are you finding all that info on marginateds? Am looking to adopt a marginated and have been looking for weeks for more info. If you'd be kind enough to share your sources would really appreciate it.

Have 2 Greeks, unfortunately purchased with mycoplasma, so am looking for a similar needs tort that will not be kept around the Greeks. We rent, so all torts live inside. Thanks for any resources you provide.

Linda, Pumpkin, and Nighty Nite

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have a couple of female Marginateds that I have had since birth (born here). One from a long term wild caught pair and the other from a captive born pair. They are both 8 or 9 years old (I'd have to look back in my records to know for certain). Both are approximately 8-8.5", smooth growth and one of them bred and produced fertile eggs for her first time this year. Making her offspring 3rd generation captive borns. The two females are smooth. I do not make any efforts to grow my tortoises to large sizes quickly. I prefer that they grow slow, smooth and naturally.

I also have (5) Marginateds that I got from other sources for genetic diversity. They are all 2-3 years old but range in size from 3.5-5". Some smoother than others, but they came here that way.

I also have several adults. Over the years people have always remarked about how "rare" females are and Marginateds in general. I simply have not found that to be true. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I seem to be able to find them!

In my own experience I have found that young tortoises, under about 3-4 years old grow at a faster rate than they do once they get older (but not yet adult size). I have always felt that this may be a natural growth pattern to grow quicker when younger in order to decrease the chances of predation.

I have had similar growth results with my Hermann's, Dalmatians, Ibera and Russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.