Maple Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi Anthony ....so Acer saccharum aka sugar maple is ok for tort...I would use it only as part of their diet 1 or 2 times a week :D

It is great source for maple syrup...as well as New York State Tree :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have never tired the maple leaves, we have 2 small japanse maples in pots but they are small and we dont want to feed anything off of it...

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
For some reason I doubt if my babies will touch it anyway being as they won't even nibble on grape leaves or hibiscus. Maybe when they grow a bit. It's kind of moot point anyway b/c whatever Irene didn't blow off the trees are going to be dropping relatively soon anyway.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Acer palatum, japanese maple....while I have never eaten from this maple I have been told that the leaves are even better than sugar maple tree.....the Japanese maple happens to be one of my fav trees....garnet japanese maple. However, I live in a wind tunnel area and add the 100+ degrees with the wind....equals near instant death....so I have a part in my yard that I am working on to plant natural wind breaks and some shade and one day I will seek out a specimen quality japanese maple......

I don't blame you for wanting to guard your two little maples :D[/code][/php]

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
ascott said:
Acer palatum, japanese maple....while I have never eaten from this maple I have been told that the leaves are even better than sugar maple tree.....the Japanese maple happens to be one of my fav trees....garnet japanese maple. However, I live in a wind tunnel area and add the 100+ degrees with the wind....equals near instant death....so I have a part in my yard that I am working on to plant natural wind breaks and some shade and one day I will seek out a specimen quality japanese maple......

I don't blame you for wanting to guard your two little maples :D[/code][/php]

We have a Japanese botanical garden that we visit in Fort Worth and they have huge Maple tree's and one day we hope our little one will become huge ones like they have, they will provide great shade also...

I hope you can solve the wind tunnel issues, the leaves on the Japanese are very nice on a huge tree...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Anthony....you can collect them green....then collect them as they get their beautifulfall colors....I bet if you cut them up and slip em in and they will get a taste for them...and when they are the fall colors that may spark a different reaction...:D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
My tortoises will rarely show any interest in tree leaves until they're a few days old, drying up and starting to become brittle. Then they start chowing down on them. Sugar Maple is one that will usually eat.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna give them both a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.