Manure

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Is putting dirt with manure and humus in it bad for the tortoises? If so, why?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Fresh cow waist is bad for anything cause it wil start to compost and compost can reach a temp of 180 degrees but composted waist is great for everything it helps the good bactiria in the soil it's great to fertilize the soil !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Fresh cow waist is bad for anything cause it wil start to compost and compost can reach a temp of 180 degrees but composted waist is great for everything it helps the good bactiria in the soil it's great to fertilize the soil !

Ok... Not really sure if this is a yes or a no

kmartin

central Florida
It's a maybe!
It depends on the age and condition of the manure. If it is composted it is a good natural fertilizer, if it is not then it may either be eaten or may start composting itself in your enclosure and raise temps to higher levels-not to mention the door.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
It's definitely not new manure, looks like really dark and rich soil. It does have a little smell to it, though!

mikeh

5 Year Member
If it says on the packaging "won't burn roots" you are good to go,its aged. The sulfuric smell is natural.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike H for you help with the composted problem . Have agreat tort day :)