Male tortoise bullying Female Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fern

5 Year Member
Ok, so, we just want to have a few pet tortoises and are not interested in breeding them at all but, we made the mistake of buying 2 males and 1 female. So,the two males are Active Guy and Mo and the female is Fern. We got Fern first and she's great but we thought we should get her company. So we looked around and the only add we could find was for two tortoises and we had to buy them together. So, we bought them and only when we picked them up realized they were both males. At the time, we didn't think it to be a problem. Then, Active Guy and Mo began to nip and fight over Fern. Mo won out and got rights to Fern. Now, Active Guy and Fern are buddies and have no problems but Mo is mean to Fern. Every day he nips and bites her and then mounts her but Fern doesn't like it. So recently, we put a 20 gallon tank in the baby pool and put Mo in it when he harrassed Fern to give Fern some time alone. But Mo doesn't like that. Then, today, I was at the other end of the house and I heard this kind of wimpering (no, it wasn't coming from my potbellied pig!). I walked over to the tortoise's baby pool and Fern was cornered and being bullied by Mo. Fern was making these wimpering noises that were pretty loud. So, I took Mo and put him in "Jail" and Fern stopped wimpering. Is she being hurt or is this part of the procces? Why would Mo bite her? What can we do to stop it? They all like living together and now Active Guy likes having Mo around to... I'd hate to seperate them. Is this my only option?

Thanks

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I would strongly suggest seperateing them. I had a case of a tort that was bullied to the point of death from stress even after seperating and nursing her for two months (she just gave up). Remember torts are not herd animals.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How big is your female Russian (her straight carapace length (SCL))?
I'm thinking she's not adult yet and that the males are. The males will be harrassing her constantly and thats not good for her (causes stress which can lead to lots of other problems).
If the males get along, than I'd seperate the 2 males from the female. Really tortoises don't need friends and do just fine alone.

Danny

Fern

5 Year Member
Fern is 5 inches and Mo is 5 1/2 inches. Mo is the Heaviest and Active guy is the lightest and Fern's in the Middle. Mo actually belongs to my brother and he keeps Mo with my tortoises, Active Guy and Fern so I'll have him get a new set-up for Mo. If Active Guy starts harassing Fern, I'll put Active Guy and Mo together and put Fern on her own.

Thanks

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So how are the new, separate enclosures coming along? I'd love to see photos of all three of your sweet torties.

Let us know how Fern does once Mo gets his own territory to rule.

Good job taking care of poor Fern!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Mo sounds big for a male Russian :p Can you post plastron (bottom shell) pictures? That way we can tell for sure what sex Mo is. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.