Male or Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi

I have a 6 yr old Indian Star (male) who has recently been proud of showing off his tackle! So I've decided to get him a companion.
I have purchased a new Indian star which is approx 4 yr old, but need to know at what age can I tell it's sex?

The pet shop owner said he's 70% certain it's female but I'm not totally convinced.
My new tort totally retracts inside it's shell as soon as its picked up & doesn't come back out for at least 5-10 minutes (even when brushing it belly at bath time). Are there any other ways I can see if it's female?

Cheers

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If you have photos of your new tortoise, I'm sure you may get an answer or two..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Be aware that any newcomer MUST be kept entirely separately in quarantine for a good 6-12 months before meeting yours in order to ensure that neither gets sick.

Your male is a hormonal teenager at the moment. He is likely to be very aggressive toward any newcomer and harass it constantly. His romantic techniques won't improve as he gets older!

The newcomer will become withdrawn and may become ill and die. If you want to breed, I'd advise keeping them entirely separately. introduce them to mate and then separate again. it's what they do in the wild where they are largely solitary: Meet up, mate and move on.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
With stars being Indian, Burmese or Sri lanken. Around 4" is a good guess. 5" is better" 6" is certain. Take a photo of "her" plastron and we should be able to help. It's pretty easy with stars. The males tails tend to be 2-3 times larger than females. Even at 4"-5"

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
This is a pic of the tail region.

image-2786404191.png

Here's the pic of the tail area. I'm convinced it's male.

Attachments

• image-2855724242.png
    image-2855724242.png
    913.4 KB · Views: 73

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Both look like males to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.