Male or female?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Here is a picture of the sea creature.

Man, Mike.. not cool lol. The real question is: why did I click to enlarge? :(

Redfoots seem notoriously hard to differentiate genders. I like playing the guessing game but, when all is said and done, all you can do is wait for eggs or the flash for 100% confirmation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I've always had trouble too. Hopefully that chart that Christinaland128 posted will be helpful in the future for us.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I saw the second ones penis the other positionings confirmed male. I was shocked!! Lol. They look so much alike now idk what to think of the first one?
Are you sure. That 2nd photo has the classic female look. Round anal scutes for egg positioning, the anal plate looks thin from the photo and a small tail. Still :confused:

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Well now I'm thoroughly confused! How far out can a female push their parts (for lack of a better word lol) out?? I've seen both sulcata and Russian male parts and the redfoot didn't seem as long proportionately. Would a female mount and try to mate with her "parts" out??

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well now I'm thoroughly confused! How far out can a female push their parts (for lack of a better word lol) out?? I've seen both sulcata and Russian male parts and the redfoot didn't seem as long proportionately. Would a female mount and try to mate with her "parts" out??
The male penis is quite large on my males. Not far off the length of there plastrons. Has sort of a mushroom shape on the end. I have a photo somewhere. I'll go look for it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Huh. Can't find the photo with him showing.
But this is a photo of one of my males.
Screenshot_2015-10-13-20-23-45.png

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Oh dear this is confusing lol. Does anyone have pics of female parts out for comparison?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I've heard that females can stick out their parts, but how common is it? I've always thought it wasn't something healthy specimens did - more a consequence of constipation. Is this not true? How typical is female genital flashing? I also didn't think immature males were likely to stick out their full length penises either - so just seeing a little wouldn't make me assume female.

Does anyone have photos of female flashing? How similar does it look to that strange 'calla lily' that males stick out?

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I've heard that females can stick out their parts, but how common is it? I've always thought it wasn't something healthy specimens did - more a consequence of constipation. Is this not true? How typical is female genital flashing? I also didn't think immature males were likely to stick out their full length penises either - so just seeing a little wouldn't make me assume female.

Does anyone have photos of female flashing? How similar does it look to that strange 'calla lily' that males stick out?
Mine was mounting the other at the time so I don't think it was constipation related in this occurrence I'm curious to know how common it is also

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Huh. Can't find the photo with him showing.
But this is a photo of one of my males.
View attachment 152254
Look back I put a picture of a red foots part . lol Females will mount other females . I haven't looked to see if my female will push her parts out . I will check next time I see her mounting .

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Look back I put a picture of a red foots part . lol Females will mount other females . I haven't looked to see if my female will push her parts out . I will check next time I see her mounting .
Ok thank you

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Mine was mounting the other at the time so I don't think it was constipation related in this occurrence I'm curious to know how common it is also
I've never seen any of my females mounting other females, but I hear it happens. My males mount anything and everything on occasions. Even my rabbit is not safe. Lol.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I've never seen any of my females mounting other females, but I hear it happens. My males mount anything and everything on occasions. Even my rabbit is not safe. Lol.
Haha poor bunnie!