Male or Female Stinkpot Turtle

CassieAnne

Location (City and/or State)
MN
We were advised our lil guy was indeed a male when we brought him home from the breeder 10 years ago. He was out 'walking' around today. Can you confirm that Max is not a Maxine? 🥰 The pictures I have seen make it look like he is not really distinctly male but not quite right for female based on his tail shape. He usually carries it sideways/tucked so it is hard to get a good look.

Attachments

• IMG_2310.jpeg
    IMG_2310.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 1

CassieAnne

MN
I'm leaning towards male, but the tail really doesn't seem big enough. Let's ask @Markw84
Here are a few more pics. We don't care. It would just be nice to know if we need to do anything special like provide a nest box etc.

Attachments

• IMG_2334.jpeg
    IMG_2334.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2335.jpeg
    IMG_2335.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2338.jpeg
    IMG_2338.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2337.jpeg
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2336.jpeg
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

CassieAnne

MN
@CassieAnne Just wondering your UVB setup. Are you providing UVB with a light fixture/bulb or do you take him out in the natural sun?
We are in the upper midwest so we have a UVB. I just replaced it. We also have a basking light/area that is not used. He likes to play under the dock area but only chooses to come out on the side/dock where there is no basking light. The temps under the basking area are 85*. The water is 76*-77*F. Ambient air is about 68-72*F during the winter. We have really hard water and up until a month ago had the water temp too warm so he got mineral deposits and shed flakes stuck. We had the water at 78*-79*F and he was docked a lot I think to get out of the water because it was too warm. The basking light it the repti tuff 50 and the IVB is the 5.0. He is in a 55 gallon filled up about 1/3. We changed his diet to the Omega One adult turtle floating food on advice here...he was getting the ReptoMin adult floating Sticks. He splashes a lot to get our attention to feed him and the splashes have gone high enough in the past to shatter a bulb that was 12"-15" above the basking area. I hope the repti tuff is indeed tougher.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I'M NO EXPERT just participating to learn as well. If it was mine I would lean Female. With these additional pictures it looks like a little tail. I Love the pic where he/she is on their back with the front leg waving, absolutely love it.
Right on with the setup it sounds like it is a very loved turtle. I personally use Mazuri Aquatic Turtle Pellets with added specialty stuff like shrimp.

CassieAnne

MN
I'M NO EXPERT just participating to learn as well. If it was mine I would lean Female. With these additional pictures it looks like a little tail. I Love the pic where he/she is on their back with the front leg waving, absolutely love it.
Right on with the setup it sounds like it is a very loved turtle. I personally use Mazuri Aquatic Turtle Pellets with added specialty stuff like shrimp.
Thank youuuu!!! Yes, we all love her/him. My oldest moved out and still comes over to hang out with Max and texts to check in on how everything is going. :) I appreciate your input! We came here for help with the set up when we saw the carapace shell issues. We adore him/her. Thank you for the food ideas! I'll grab those as well for some variety. Right?! I've never put him on his back like that I felt so bad… But he was poised like that and then all of a sudden flipped over and started walking away like she was done with the photo shoot - it was hysterical and impressive 🥰

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
If you do use any SeaFood (Shrimp, Fish, etc.) make sure it is 'Cooked." I was recieving free "Uncooked" shrimp for our pond and ended up with Smail Leeches. The eggs can survive years of being frozen and created a Pond Hell for us. It took over a year to finally eliminate them and we lost almost 100 fish. If you do get any uncooked items just make sure and cook thoroughly. And yes variety is the best diet, there is also a product called "Trout Chow" made by Purina (yes the dog food company) that is a great thing to add. It is also a good practice to let the Turtle run around out of the water ... say leave him/her on the grass (making sure it's not to hot) supervised for 20-30 minutes letting him get in some good exercise. 4 or 5 times a week any turtles in aquariums come out and are given at least an hour of "Dry Time." It doesn't take long before they realize what this is and enjoy strolling around and investigating the Dry World.

CassieAnne

MN
If you do use any SeaFood (Shrimp, Fish, etc.) make sure it is 'Cooked." I was recieving free "Uncooked" shrimp for our pond and ended up with Smail Leeches. The eggs can survive years of being frozen and created a Pond Hell for us. It took over a year to finally eliminate them and we lost almost 100 fish. If you do get any uncooked items just make sure and cook thoroughly. And yes variety is the best diet, there is also a product called "Trout Chow" made by Purina (yes the dog food company) that is a great thing to add. It is also a good practice to let the Turtle run around out of the water ... say leave him/her on the grass (making sure it's not to hot) supervised for 20-30 minutes letting him get in some good exercise. 4 or 5 times a week any turtles in aquariums come out and are given at least an hour of "Dry Time." It doesn't take long before they realize what this is and enjoy strolling around and investigating the Dry World.
So helpful thank you!!! I cannot imagine everything you went through with your pond. I am so sorry for all of your loss. 😢 Where we live the building owner treats the grass so we have never let him run around. We also have wickedly fast birds of prey that hang out in our trees. We have brought him out in a huge cardbord box to soak up the sun and move his legs. I was thinking a kiddie pool without the water would maybe be an idea to try this year.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So helpful thank you!!! I cannot imagine everything you went through with your pond. I am so sorry for all of your loss. 😢 Where we live the building owner treats the grass so we have never let him run around. We also have wickedly fast birds of prey that hang out in our trees. We have brought him out in a huge cardbord box to soak up the sun and move his legs. I was thinking a kiddie pool without the water would maybe be an idea to try this year.
A kiddie pool works well, and if you put up something that LOOKS like it covers the pool the birds will stay away. Example: some people run wire zig zagged across a garden area to trick the birds from getting to the garden. They're scared of the wires.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
A kiddie pool works well, and if you put up something that LOOKS like it covers the pool the birds will stay away. Example: some people run wire zig zagged across a garden area to trick the birds from getting to the garden. They're scared of the wires.
But why not actually put chicken wire over it to protect your turtle? Why take a chance?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum cute turtle

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
But why not actually put chicken wire over it to protect your turtle? Why take a chance?
Of course this is best but it becomes sorta a hassle to remove and replace all the time. Another option is to make 4 legs that support chicken wire or bird netting over the kiddie pool, so you just slide it under the netting.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sorry for the late reply, but I was out of town the past 2 days. Catching up this morning.

That is a female. Males have obviously long, thicker tails with the vent quite distant from the end of the carapace. At that size and 10 years old, it would have a much larger tail if male.