Male/female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
About how many years can you tell if your baby is a male or female? My vet told me he thought my baby was a little boy & I've always been slightly inclined to think he was lookin at some pics online but I'm just wondering everyone's opinion on here?
I thought Sammy was too young to be able to tell but my vet said no he didn't think so. Sammy is 3 years. I can post pics if y'all want? Thanks... :)

& how exactly do you measure a tortoise? Just the shell or legs, arms & all? Measuring tape? Sorry I ask like five thousand questions..

sammy1.jpegsammy2.jpegsammy3.jpegI measured him with a simple measuring tape straight across the center and he measured out to be about 6.5 inches.
& here are some pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lizzi:

You measure a tortoise in a straight line from front to back. Easiest way is to place the measuring tape up against a wall at '0' then put the tortoise next to the tape and push him so his head is retracted.

Your little guy is right at the point where its hard to tell the sex. The tail and gular (the part the head rests on) look like a female tortoise, however ALL babies look female. The anal scutes (the part of the shell on either side of the tail) look like they are pointing straight back, and female's point either straight back or inward, while male's point outward, however, at this size, "straight back" may not really be telling us the right thing. I'm leaning towards female, but it may change as the tortoise grows.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
This is pretty much how I measured Sammy except it was from the edge of the tank.
This is exciting! I am curious to see other responses. It's hard just saying Sammy and not saying him/her so I've just been saying him:/ if he turns out to be a she I will feel so utterly bad. I have felt like maybe there has been something Sammy has been trying to tell me with his/her eyes. Maybe I'm just crazy as hell. Lol.

When exactly have y'all been able to really tell gender? I am not 100% sure on age so.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
That's how I tried to measure everyone too. Brains put up quite the fight as I was trying to get him to push his head in by putting him close to the wall. He is strong for a little Russian!! I got 5 1/2 inches, but im sure it's not too accurate, he fought me the whole time, lol!

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
So how many inches would you think I could tell for sure? He is 7inches now. Between 3-4 years I think.

Zabbi0 said:
So how many inches would you think I could tell for sure? He is 7inches now. Between 3-4 years I think.

Well he/she lol. Sammy.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I have started trying to say 'she' since yesterday and holy cow does it trip me up!!
My little baby Sammy!!! A little baby girl!! Holy cow. I feel so bad:( It was just too hard not to say his/her one way or the other.
Last night I told her 'Goodnight angel. I love you baby girl. ' and she looked at me all wide eyed (maybe I'm crazy like I said hahaha) and I just told her 'yeah momma finally figured it out ;) ) lol

Thanks friends. I appreciate the insight. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That tail says "female". I won't be 100% sure for another couple of years.

I'm no "top guy". I'm just a tortoise nerd who happens to have raised a few sulcatas.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
You could get an old style easy bake oven

And a new style easy bake oven and make a note on which he/she plays with. Just a thought. Lol.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I think it's interesting everyone went female...I know the tail is short but anal scutes are looking a hair masculine to me and gulars look undeveloped/inconclusive leading me to guess "ask me again in a few inches," that tail could grow. Some tortoises show much sexual dimorphism's at a younger age/smaller size than others but I would not count this particular tortoise amoung them. I could go either way.

Cowboy_Ken said:

And then there is that ;) old style=obvious female

testtudude

5 Year Member
Ha Ha Ha! Good one Cowboy! Lol Maybe nobody else gets it because only in America is such ridiculousness news. Lol:)

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Cowboy_Ken said:

And a new style easy bake oven and make a note on which he/she plays with. Just a thought. Lol.

Hey hey my baby ain't no unisex alright lmao. 'Merica

Status
Not open for further replies.