Male and female hinge backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogway the tort

5 Year Member
I have heard that with female hingebacks there is a potential for a false pregnancy, if you turn off the heat and UVB lights at night...is this true?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I am confused as to why you mention turning the lights off at night? You do turn the day lights off at night normally right?

False pregnancy---a female tort can lay eggs with or without a male...now, if they are viable or not is another thing....:D I am basically getting your thread back to the front page with my post....

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ya i don't get this either.

UV lighting should be off at night regardless of species or gender.

Using "light-less" heat at night varies by species and size. But I don't believe this is relevant to infertile egg laying.

Females can lay infertile eggs without a male present.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Normally when a female lays infertile eggs she will just drop them in the enclosure and not attempt to dig a nest. It's normally only one or two eggs.

Oogway the tort

5 Year Member
Okay good because I'm also confused, my friends mom who is a vet was trying to explain something like that to me and I really didn't understand what she was trying to say...I must have misheard her or something.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
All females can produce eggs, with or without ever being with a male. A female may deposit her eggs in a nest, on top of the soil, in her water or the worst thing is not depositing them any where but holding them inside too long. When eggs are held inside too long, various complications can result including death.

Oogway the tort

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
All females can produce eggs, with or without ever being with a male. A female may deposit her eggs in a nest, on top of the soil, in her water or the worst thing is not depositing them any where but holding them inside too long. When eggs are held inside too long, various complications can result including death.
Does that happen often?

Status
Not open for further replies.