Making the tough decision with little Conan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
I've decided to humanely euthanize my little Hermanns. :( Conan has not gotten any better for me, and if anything, has gotten worse. My poor baby hasn't gained a gram, grown at all or "thrived" in any sense of the word. Today I picked him up and gave him a thorough once over and he feels like a boiled egg, he's getting so soft. His plastron is starting to become see-through even.

I failed in rehabilitating him, and its eating away at me. But I just can't watch him suffer anymore. He refuses food now, where he used to nibble. He doesn't bask, just sits in the cool side of his cage and hides at all times. I think that he was already in the beginning stages of renal failure when I got him, from all the protein he'd been fed via the wet cat food and monkey chow. He was so little that the damage was done before he even arrived.

I am taking him in to have it done, so its as quick and painless as possible for him, and I called my herp vet today to inquire about procedure and cost. I cried when I got off the phone, so I can't even imagine what I will be like on that day. The vet gets back in on Monday and I will be making the appointment then.

I just wanted to let you all know of my decision. I think its best for him, even though its hurting me. I can't be selfish anymore :(

Its sad that ignorance, bad advice and an overall carefree attitude by his former owners robbed him of his life. The woman had his lights 2ft away from him, she was "told" to feed monkey chow, and cat food---he didn't get any greens til I got him. :( He lived in a huge glass tank, away from heat and fresh airflow. I thought I got him in time, but thats not how it turned out for us.

Poor baby Conan. He was loved while I had him.
handfeeding003.jpg

May17thto19th141.jpg

:(

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
my heart goes out to you. Very sorry to hear this. BUt at least his last days are filled with love.
Sometimes doing the right thing really hurts.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
aww i am so sorry hun, I have had to have a pet rabbit put to sleep in the past and i know how much it hurts but i just kept telling myself i was doing the right thing as she was suffering, u made his life better by loving him and i no it hurts but if he is suffering u are doing the right thing xx

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
You did everything you could do. Sorry he could not turn around.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While you should be upset, don't be upset with yourself, it was not your fault. I have never to date had to put a tortoise down, but I have put down an old cat and dog in the vets when their quality of life was no longer good, hardest thing I think to do is put an animal down.

M

Maggie Cummings

That's the problem with taking in an animal that someone else has abused. It's not THEM that's cries over it when it dies, it's us and it's damned hard. Sorry Meg...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am very sorry to hear this Meg. Thank you though for trying to help him, and in the end, making the tough decision to do what is right by him.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the next few days will be the worst.. making the decision to do 'it' is hard, but once its done.. you will feel releived.. weird.. but true..
dont feel bad.. you didnt do anything wrong..

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
So sorry. Doing the right thing is not always the easy thing. You will always know in your heart you did everything you could and in the end letting him go was the best thing for him.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
I am so sorry and my sympathy goes out to you. It sounds like you did everything in your power to help him. I am sure he lived out his last days with love.

Status
Not open for further replies.