I’m Back with my Hermann Tortoise Ormond

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I’m not sure if anyone remembers me but I used to be on the forum quite a bit when I first got Ormond as a hatchling. He ended up very territorial and aggressive as he got older. So I made the very hard decision, which took a year to make (he was 4 years old at that time) to rehome him.

I found a local pet store experienced in reptiles to take him on as their store mascot where he lived for a year.
it was nice as he had a huge enclosure and I could visit him as much as I wanted. Eventually one of the employees took him home as he had some other tortoises and felt he could care for him well.

But sadly, I had an email a couple days ago that he could not longer keep him as he was aggressive and basically making himself a nuisance as he couldn’t go outside anymore, due to winter. So Ormond is back with me.

I felt very sad after I gave Ormond away, like I had failed him. I had him since he was a hatchling and it wasn’t a decision I took lightly. Now that he is home I am determined to make it work as I feel this is a second chance. I’m still literally in shock he’s back. My heart feels like it’s bursting with joy and of course worry, of how to make it work out this time.

I just had to tell you guys and if you managed to read this all, thank you!

6D7D7846-C5AB-42FE-8C14-8DFD0EABBCDD.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Exhibiting aggression is a natural trait for male Testudos. Far as I'm concerned, it's part of their charm. I hope you just learn to live with and accept it, and love him all the more for it. Little rascal! It's quite endearing if you think about it. Here's this tiny body trying to scare this big human person with his aggressive antics. Sheesh! So glad you are able to take him back.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know when Hermann's mature, but it could partly be sexual.

Maybe try putting in various toys for him to mate with. A properly sized rock, an old shoe, an under-inflated ball (so it's soft and he can grab it). Hopefully he gets the idea and it helps, at least a little.

Could you put in your profile a general description of where you live? Maybe just like "northern ____(name of state or country)" It really helps to know your location when trying to offer advice. Knowing that it snows there doesn't help much. ?