Making a hide

PumkinRulez

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I want to want to make a hide with a smallish clear tub, it’s like a plastic shoe box... but I wanted to paint it, or make it look a little less like a shoe box. I’m not sure what paint I can use, I have spray paint and even spray foam. I can also glue on pebbles or rocks to make it look nice but I don’t know what’s safe and whats not so safe... my little Sulcata loves to explore and somehow get into trouble every day :p

PumkinRulez

Texas
I would, but I want to work with what I have first before going out and buying a new tub al together

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I would, but I want to work with what I have first before going out and buying a new tub al together

1. Smooth out the opening with sandpaper so it doesn't get caught on the tortoise when he or she rubs on it as they're coming and going. Make the opening as big and wide as possible.
2. I suggest cutting out the entire bottom part of the makeshift hide so that you don't have to constantly clean the feces, waste, and replenish lost substrate. Without the bottom you can easily just life it up and put the thing in another location and quickly clean out the location before putting it back.
3. Submerge and pack the plastic hide with a lot of substrate to prevent light from shining through. No painting necessary.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I’m using forest floor bedding, I’m not sure that will stick

I don't know what forest floor bedding is. I don't buy reptile branded substrate because they're often more expensive than the stuff you'll find at your local gardening/home improvement store.

You don't need the substrate to stick. Just pile everything up in the corner along with the hide. Submerge the hide down lower so that it simulates a deep burrow, that way when you cover it up the highest point shouldn't be that much higher than the rest of substrate level. That way the tortoise can't use the hide to prop themselves higher for owners with low walls or open enclosures.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I would avoid a tube as they will be 100% be impossible to remove they have habit of starfishing when you try to retrieve them so they will try to grip. Best approach buy a hide in an arch shape, use updide down ice cream container with an entrance hole cut out or upside down wide black water guttering cut to a short length. Avoid toxins paint and foam in the enclosure with the heat lamp etc...

PumkinRulez

Texas
I don't know what forest floor bedding is. I don't buy reptile branded substrate because they're often more expensive than the stuff you'll find at your local gardening/home improvement store.

You don't need the substrate to stick. Just pile everything up in the corner along with the hide. Submerge the hide down lower so that it simulates a deep burrow, that way when you cover it up the highest point shouldn't be that much higher than the rest of substrate level. That way the tortoise can't use the hide to prop themselves higher for owners with low walls or open enclosures.

Ok I will try this :) I’ll send a finished picture later on

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I would avoid a tube as they will be 100% be impossible to remove they have habit of starfishing when you try to retrieve them so they will try to grip. Best approach buy a hide in an arch shape, use updide down ice cream container with an entrance hole cut out or upside down wide black water guttering cut to a short length. Avoid toxins paint and foam in the enclosure with the heat lamp etc...

I'm going to assume you meant tub in your initial post because there's zero mention of tube in this thread apart from your post.

There should no issues with tortoises clinging unto the opening if:
1. The opening was as big and as wide as possible like I suggested and,
2. If the bottom layer of the plastic bin/tub was entirely cut out.

I personally don't have a favorite when it comes to hides. I usually keep multiple hides of different designs in both my indoor and outdoor enclosures. I think they're all effective in their own way.

PumkinRulez

Texas
[/QUOTE

It’s a tub

Also, I have an ice cream container, but is it safe because it had ice cream in it and idk how to completely wash it...