Mail order tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Ryan

5 Year Member
Hi im currently looking at my options for red footed tortoise and have found by living in the middle of no where (village in norfolk) there arent that many pet stores out there. especially ones which sell tortoises. i have also heard ones from stores are prone to becoming ill.

But i cant see how ordering tortoises can be good for the tortoise and how can you know your getting what you ask for? i still find it hard spending alot of money on something that you dont even get to see.

any one have any experiences? all opinions welcome

thanks ryan =]

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Yes, lots of experience of ordering all types of reptiles thru the mail! I highly recommend ordering thru the mail from a breeder. I have bought from the pet store and had real high vet bill for a tort before, and it died anyways.

Many reptiles, and most torts seem pretty inactive at night, and anytime there is little light. They are in a box during these hours and I don't think its bad at all.....if shipped right!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
terryo said:
Be VERY careful, and only order from someone who people you know have dealt with. I almost lost $100 from ordering on the net. Terry K. has some really beautiful ones, and everyone here knows him and his Redfoots. http://www.turtletary.com/current.htm

Good point Terry! For the record, I ordered from LLLReptile and TheTortoiseMan.com. Both are highly recommended!

Mr.Ryan

5 Year Member
but i live in england, would shipping from america to england be over doing it?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow..that's something that I really don't know. You can call Terry K. and talk to him and he will give you good advice about shipping and the Redfoots.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I think international shipping would probably not be a good idea. There would be the chance the tort could get stuck in customs for days. I would not be comfortable with that!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I know a few people that i would recommend, Its all about buying from the right person. Asking a forums (like us) would help. Also you will have a healthier animal (for the most part) when you go through a breeder. Shipping a reptile is safe, and does not effect the reptile, how do you think they get to the pet stores? Just think of it like your cutting out the middle man.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have some forum members who live in the U.K. Maybe one of them can advise you on buying online from someone in England.

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Talk to Stells. She's in England as well. I know she has gotten torts there before---she also seems to be hatching out babies as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.