Tortoise adoption and TFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
I am caring for some sick tortoises and may adopt them out if they regain their health. There arent many tortoise keepers here thus, not alot of places to get good advice. So, as a condition to the adoption, I would say they have to sign up on TFO. Would that be appropriate?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe I can fly, no wait I believe you can set up whatever rules you want when you adopt out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As anyone who runs a rescue will tell you, the more hoops you make people jump through, the more they will lie to you to get what they want. I'd make it more of a recommendation or suggestion. Maybe print out a few good threads and hand it to them to whet their appetite. You might be able to make them join, but you can't make them participate. Forcing them to join might cause some resentment and rebelliousness.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
onarock said:
I am caring for some sick tortoises and may adopt them out if they regain their health. There arent many tortoise keepers here thus, not alot of places to get good advice. So, as a condition to the adoption, I would say they have to sign up on TFO. Would that be appropriate?

Mixed feelings on it being a requirement, although I think TFO is a great site with a lot of great folks to share ideas with.

OTOH, as Tom correctly points out, while you might make them join as a condition for adoption, how would you know if they ever looked in afterwards?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
What about making them give you a deposit that you will return in a month if they are still caring for their tort properly. I know a lot of people will disagree with this idea, but if they are serious it wont stop them from taking a tort and it gives them an incentive to have the right stuff for torty.
It would also make it easy add the TFO condition. Why would anyone not want to join????????

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Tom said:
As anyone who runs a rescue will tell you, the more hoops you make people jump through, the more they will lie to you to get what they want. I'd make it more of a recommendation or suggestion. Maybe print out a few good threads and hand it to them to whet their appetite. You might be able to make them join, but you can't make them participate. Forcing them to join might cause some resentment and rebelliousness.

Your probably right.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
The care sheets we give with our hatchings have a few websites listed as recommended reading. All you can do is suggest and recommend. Whether or not we sell to an individual is usually based on first impressions from the initial conversation. It's pretty easy to "weed" out people who don't have a clue and don't care to learn.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
You could nicely ask them to join and view TFO for a week before pick up. It also might help them decide if a tortoise is something they really want to commit to. As we see on C/L and the rescue posts it is not for everyone, and every creature deserves a home where it is wanted and taken care of:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I wouldn't make it a requirement, but a suggestion would be nice. I was on another forum, and I suggested that someone join TFO, and got a good reprimand from someone, whose name I won't mention, saying that all we do over here is try to get people to leave other forums and come here. I was really surprised, so that's the last time I do that on a public post.:(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I want people to learn things on other forums (or anywhere else) and SHARE it here.

Your experience sounds like someone over there has some sour grape action goin' on to me.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
terryo said:
I wouldn't make it a requirement, but a suggestion would be nice. I was on another forum, and I suggested that someone join TFO, and got a good reprimand from someone, whose name I won't mention, saying that all we do over here is try to get people to leave other forums and come here. I was really surprised, so that's the last time I do that on a public post.:(

I participate in some other tortoise and reptile sites, as well as TFO, and feel like they're ALL good...so far, none have demanded that I only "belong" to them... :rolleyes:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:

I so agree, good points Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Terry Allan Hall said:
terryo said:

I participate in some other tortoise and reptile sites, as well as TFO, and feel like they're ALL good...so far, none have demanded that I only "belong" to them... :rolleyes:

Well, Terry, there something we here at TFO have been meaning to tell you...

... about those other sites...

haha

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:

It all depends on the site and what their rules are. For the most part when I make the suggestion to check out another site, I start by reminding everybody that they can (and I think should) belong to more then one site. Each site because of it's unique set of members can add new insight and information to use. If I think the site might not allow the suggestion of another site,I do it by PM.

As to the suggestion or requirement to join before adoption, I think a strong suggestion works best.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I'm wondering how those little guys are doing? Are you getting them back to health?

Oh, yeah, the original question. I am likely to take suggestions that seem reasonable. Requirements and musts bring out the "In a pig's eye!" in me. Most of the time.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
TortyQueen said:
I'm wondering how those little guys are doing? Are you getting them back to health?

Edna, are you referring to the sick torts im fostering? If so, thanks for asking and I posted an update on the other thread sulcata soft plastron yesterday. Not much has changed since then. Although, I have a vet app. tomorrow to hopefully get the liquid calcium.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
terryo said:

Well, Terry, there something we here at TFO have been meaning to tell you...

... about those other sites...

haha

As my wife told me in the earliest stage of our nearly 15 year relationship "Put a ring on it if you want it!"... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.