Mahé & Moyenne, my tortoises from the Seychelles

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello friends,

for me a dream came true and I got my two aldabra tortoise babies yesterday. They have made the long journey from the Seychelles to Germany where I live.
I am ready for giving them a good life and all what they need as long as I live and after my death too.
I would be glad when you, dear reader, are interested to accompany my torts ( and me ) on their way of growing and thriving.

I think I don`t have to explain their names. In loving memory where they come from I named them Mahé and Moyenne.

They are only one day in their new home and I can already say that they are different in their behavior.
Mahé is the smaller one with the red color spot on the carapax.
Moyenne is a little bit bigger with the yellow color spot on the carapax.
Both seem to be very healthy and having a hard shell. They began to eat a few hours after their arrival yesterday and are eating well today too.
But now it is time to share brandnew pics of "brandnew" tort babies.
Enjoy !

Sabine

Mahé on the day of arrival. "Waving" into the camera. "Hello, I am here !"
DSCN3768.JPG

Moyenne on the day of arrival: "I don`t want to see someone! Let me alone."
DSCN3772.JPG
First soak: Very exciting for little tortoises !
DSCN3818.JPG

Moyenne soaking himself in the water dish, Mahé in the background.

DSCN3810.JPG

and after the "exhausting" soaks, eating together:

DSCN3821.JPG

DSCN3822.JPG

DSCN3823.JPG

Bee62

Germany
I know you said you did not want to explain their names but...where they french breeders?
No. I think not. The "roots" of the names of the Sychelles islands are mostly French.
We need an expert here to shed light into this.
@Sesel Would you please explain the names of the Seychelles islands and where they come from ?

Reptilony

QC, CAN
No. I think not. The "roots" of the names of the Sychelles islands are mostly French.
We need an expert here to shed light into this.
@Sesel Would you please explain the names of the Seychelles islands and where they come from ?
ah I see now! Probably colonised by frenchs! mahé, la digue, silhouette, curieuse, desroches, félicité...moyenne will always be the middle tortoise lol

Sesel

Seychelles

From Wikipedia & Google: :D

Mahe:
"The island was named after Bertrand-Francois Mahe de La Bourdonnais, a French governor of Isle de France (modern-day Mauritius).

Moyenne:
Moyenne, as the name suggests, is the middle island in the St. Anne Marine National Park. It lies between St. Anne, Round and Long island."

Seychelles was first colonised by the French.
Mahe is the largest and main Island.

@Bee62 love the names :cool:

Bee62

Germany
From Wikipedia & Google: :D

Mahe:
"The island was named after Bertrand-Francois Mahe de La Bourdonnais, a French governor of Isle de France (modern-day Mauritius).

Moyenne:
Moyenne, as the name suggests, is the middle island in the St. Anne Marine National Park. It lies between St. Anne, Round and Long island."

Seychelles was first colonised by the French.
Mahe is the largest and main Island.

@Bee62 love the names :cool:
Thank you for the explanation where the names of the Seychelles islands came from and that you love the names that I gave the torts.:)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hello friends,

for me a dream came true and I got my two aldabra tortoise babies yesterday. They have made the long journey from the Seychelles to Germany where I live.
I am ready for giving them a good life and all what they need as long as I live and after my death too.
I would be glad when you, dear reader, are interested to accompany my torts ( and me ) on their way of growing and thriving.

I think I don`t have to explain their names. In loving memory where they come from I named them Mahé and Moyenne.

They are only one day in their new home and I can already say that they are different in their behavior.
Mahé is the smaller one with the red color spot on the carapax.
Moyenne is a little bit bigger with the yellow color spot on the carapax.
Both seem to be very healthy and having a hard shell. They began to eat a few hours after their arrival yesterday and are eating well today too.
But now it is time to share brandnew pics of "brandnew" tort babies.
Enjoy !

Sabine

Mahé on the day of arrival. "Waving" into the camera. "Hello, I am here !"
View attachment 250790

Moyenne on the day of arrival: "I don`t want to see someone! Let me alone."
View attachment 250791
First soak: Very exciting for little tortoises !
View attachment 250792

Moyenne soaking himself in the water dish, Mahé in the background.

View attachment 250793

and after the "exhausting" soaks, eating together:

View attachment 250794

View attachment 250795

View attachment 250796
They are gorgeous. So happy for you.