Magpie attack :(

Sd2e10

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton
Hi all,

I just wanting to post to see if anyone could tell me what this mark is that is on my tortoises neck?

A magpie recently got into his outside enclosure and whilst there was no immediate damage (thank goodness) I have spotted this mark today. He's passed urine, urates and pooped since the attack and they all seemed fine (urine a tad yellow). He's also eating fine and running around still but I have noticed that every so often he opens his mouth for an extended period of time. I thought this could be RI but it is only happening 2/3 times a day and he seems fine in himself.

At night he is kept in an indoor box with a heat lamp that turns on at 8am each morning. Dependent upon the weather he will then be moved to an outdoor pen (since fixed to be magpie-proof). His diet is a dried wildflower mix with Nutrobal on top.

Any advice any one can give would be hugely appreciated! Our usual vet is currently closed and I'm reluctant to take him to a new one in case they just give him a Vit-A hit.07058D9D-1C7E-4B6B-BBF5-8EADD9FFF8CD.jpeg
DB45ABCB-F059-4752-ADB9-D702F366EFB3.jpeg

Sd2e10

Southampton
Thank you so much for the reply Karen!
Round his neck the shell is fairly sharp - is there anything I can do? It’s so difficult with the vets being closed! I’ve contacted them and they said it isn’t an emergency.

I’m really worried about his beak and pyramiding! Since the magpie attack I’ve really inspected him and there’s so many things I’m worried about now that I hadn’t noticed before haha!

I hope you’re well :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My tort had a sharp spot on the edge of his shell. I took a fine grade emory board and very gently filed it with just a few strokes. It smoothed it perfectly.

All you want to do is smooth the edge, so just go real slow with light pressure.

Did you have him as a hatchling? The pyramiding was caused by being kept too dry. He wasn't in a closed chamber with high humidity, and probably wasn't soaked. You can't make it go away, but you can prevent more pyramiding. Soak, give plenty of water that he can get into, and feed wet foods and spritz his food with water when you feed him.

I can't see his beak...is it overgrown? @Yvonne G says you can nip it off with a nail clipper. Again, a tiny bit at a time. And a terra cotta saucer, rock, or piece of tile for his food dish will help keep it trimmed down.