Magic sweet spot operating temp.

mikeh

5 Year Member
I am wondering on what would be a single sweet spot ambient or core operating temp for 6 month old leopard.

I am aware of recommended gradients, but what would be that magic narrow range in which the tort is the most active?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
I'd say 80-85° I'm no expert but too hot can harm the tort and i wouldn't keep the tortoise in anything lower than 75° and that's only if you have a dry enclosure. if you have high humidity, it should never drop below 80°f

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Magic sweet spot operating temp.

mikeh said:
I am wondering on what would be a single sweet spot ambient or core operating temp for 6 month old leopard.

I am aware of recommended gradients, but what would be that magic narrow range in which the tort is the most active?

If you raise your Leopard with high humidity then your "sweet spot" or ambient temperature should be 80F. Maintain this using a CHE on thermostat. Super easy and insures that your sweet spot will be maintained.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Thanks Heather, but that goes back to general recommended gradient. I don't use CHE or basking bulb. I use heat cables. Trying to narrow down the most optimal day time ambient temp as my gradient fluctuates only 2-3 degree difference between warm side and cool side. So far I am coming with temps 89-92F, but I'd like a feedback. Nighttime 78-80F.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hmmm. I didn't realize you wanted a stable temperature throughout the entire enclosure.
I personally would never choose to do that. Microclimates are a necessity IMO.

Hopefully you find your answer.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
oh, i see. my mistake.

but i agree ^^^ you wouldn't want to live your life with the same exact temperature. a tortoises body needs the actual warm up and cool down....they are cold blooded and they are never hot 24/7 in the wild.

i believe, as tortoise owners, it is our job to make our pets home as natural as they are. they haven't been domesticated like cats and dogs so neither should their home. you couldn't keep a tiger how you do a cat.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I heat without the use of a che or hot overhead light also, I try to be as close to 85 as possible throughout the enclosure for youngsters like yours.I feel it is less stressful on a baby and less electric is needed once you get it set up right.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Magic sweet spot operating temp.

Len said:
I heat without the use of a che or hot overhead light also, I try to be as close to 85 as possible throughout the enclosure for youngsters like yours.I feel it is less stressful on a baby and less electric is needed once you get it set up right.

Len, those are good points and I can think of few more.
Is the 85F for day and night or do you go lower for night temp?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
mikeh said:
Len said:

Len, those are good points and I can think of few more.
Is the 85F for day and night or do you go lower for night temp?

Yes, day and night. I offer a hide that is a few degrees warmer and one at enclosure temp and let the tort choose which one it wants to sleep in. In my limited observations they will choose the warmer one most of the time, and with the higher humidity I don't want to chance letting the temps go to low.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
For my 2 in their Twin Enclosure, I maintained an ambient temp of 75-80* 24/7. I still had microclimates ranging from 110* under the basking light to as low as 65* in the far, front corners away from all heat sources (heat rope under humid hide, Ceramic Heat Emmiteres center top and Basking Lights center rear) My temp and humidity gauge was center front, halfway up the total height of the enclosure. My thermostat regulater was same height but center location between both heat emmiters.

For details of construction, search TFO for "Twin Enclosure Phases I-V"