Little Leopard

KateZ

Hello Everyone,

My new little Leopard is not eating much. Almost like he doesn't know how to bite into the kale, romaine etc. He weighed 173 g this morning. This was his first day on the scale so I have no comparison. He is drinking and enjoying his basking spot. Humidity is perfect as is ambient temp. Basking spot at 98. He likes his soaking time and is pursuing his habitat. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a little nervous being that he is one year old and only with me for 4-5 days.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @KateZ and a very warm welcome to the forum. :tort:

I would not worry: torts do not like change, and need time to adapt to a new environment, new enclosure, new climate, and the rest. ;)

Where do you live and what is the weather like back there? Torts tend to lose appetite in Winter.

Any pics of your tort and his enclosure?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What is the ambient temperature exactly and what is the lowest temperature in his enclosure? How do you measure the temperatures?

Any idea how old he is?

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
If it has reached 173 grams, it should be quite capable of eating and tearing off pieces of most food items besides some really tough things. Once they are around 300 grams, they are able to eat even the stems of greens like turnip and any lettuces(kale and collard stems and opuntia are tougher). It is more than likely still adjusting, but it won't hurt to cut it up small for now to be sure.

KateZ

I would not worry: torts do not like change, and need time to adapt to a new environment, new enclosure, new climate, and the rest. ;)

Where do you live and what is the weather like back there? Torts tend to lose appetite in Winter.

He still seems to not eat. I've tried everything. Small bites, large leaves, mazuri, kale, romaine, zucchini, cucumber, optunia, etc. his temp in the basking area 100. Ambient 83. Humidity of 70. I have had him over a week. After weighing him today after his soak 177 but he had been soaking and not eating. Pleas help. It would break my heart to lose him. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 36

KateZ

What is the ambient temperature exactly and what is the lowest temperature in his enclosure? How do you measure the temperatures?

Any idea how old he is?
Ambient temp 83. He was one year old on Nov 6th. Lowest temp is 80. Thoughts? I would really appreciate any assistance.

KateZ

I live on Scottsdale, Az. Quiet warm hear typically. The little guy is in a habitat in doors until spring.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have only had him a week. He may still be adjusting. Keep trying and try different things until you find one he seems to really like. Then use that to trick him into eating other things. Keep him hydrated by warm soaks every day. Bring in AZ, take advantage of your warm weather and get him outside for some sunshine, always providing shade and water and see if he eats out there.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I live on Scottsdale, Az. Quiet warm hear typically. The little guy is in a habitat in doors until spring.
A cute tort. GOD bless. Please soak him in warm water daily: he's pyramiding.

I totally agree with @wellington : torts do not like change; so they take time to adjust to a new place, new enclosure, new climate, new owner and the rest. This requires a lot of patience from the owner's part. So do not worry/panic. He'll settle down eventually. Please keep us updated.

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
KateZ, I have a newly acquired fussy eater myself, so I understand your frustration. It very likely is a matter of settling in, but you may want to try a trick I've uncovered that has worked for me. I jokingly call it "time out", as if it's a punishment. I put my little tort in a tupperware loaded with a variety of foods (no lid, of course). I put the tort and tupper in his enclosure. At first he'll stomp around and scratch to get out, but after a while, particularly if I stop staring and hovering, he'll start to eat. I'll leave him in for up to an hour, letting him graze intermittently. My little guy will very often turn his nose up at food offered freely in his dish, and walk right by it. I'll put him in time out, and 5 minutes later, he's chowing.
Give it a try, hope it works.

KateZ

That's a great idea. Tomorrow will be telling for me. If the "time out" method and carrot soak don't help I think a vet visit is in order. I received him last Tuesday the 6th. I have followed all of the advise. Warmed the habitat, cut up food, tried favorites, increased soaking time etc. he seems to try twice to take a bite of food mIsses and walks away. It looks like his mouth isn't working right or like he doesn't know how to eat. I have taken him outside the past few days when temp over 70, (I live in Scottsdale, AZ). He is active and roaming the lawn. A few things concern me. Is his little jaw hurt or not working? Is his eye sight bad? I have him in a 20 gallon mixing tub. I have a combo of cypress mulch and saweighed him several days ago @ 173 g. Today 166 before carrot soak. I only saw him potty the first day he arrived. I don't see any other potty in his habitat. His habitat is a 20 gallon mixing tub. Substrate is a combo of cypress mulch and spaghnum moss. I use a Zoo med lighting and basking lamp fixture. Temps are set at recommended.

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
Not likely that his jaw was hurt and eyesight has gone bad in the same week. That you've seen him make an attempt at food is a good sign. Let him adjust.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
A cute tort. GOD bless. Please soak him in warm water daily: he's pyramiding.

I totally agree with @wellington : torts do not like change; so they take time to adjust to a new place, new enclosure, new climate, new owner and the rest. This requires a lot of patience from the owner's part. So do not worry/panic. He'll settle down eventually. Please keep us updated.

I think generally it is especially true the older the animal is(ie hatchlings are more adaptable to change than those a year or so old that are more set into a routine/habitat). Since yours is not a tiny baby, it may take a little longer. It looks in good shape in the picture.