Lost weight

yay14

Location (City and/or State)
stockholm
I am scared my One year old hermann tortoise has lost weight. Last time i weighed maybe about a month ago he weighed about 47-48 grams i measured today and he weighed 41. There could be something weird though since when i put the scale down it registers 400 grams withous anything even touching it but i am not sure.
It could have been that i measured incorrect last time becuse the scale i use often registers things heavier than they are which i did not realise until now so maybe he has not lost waight but i just thought he was heavier than he is but 41 grams feels like underweight am i correct?

Last edited:

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
There is probably something wrong with the scale. It needs to read zero before anything is placed on it. If the 'Tare' button does not effectively re-zero the reading, it's probably defective.

Tortoises can have some weight variation based on if they have pooped or urinated recently, especially for tortoises that are this small. For consistency, try to record the weight after defecation and soaking.

It would be easier if you didn't post a new thread with each of your questions. People will keep asking you to post photos, temperatures, lighting, and other data. If all this info is in a single thread, people can more quickly provide advice.

yay14

stockholm
There is probably something wrong with the scale. It needs to read zero before anything is placed on it. If the 'Tare' button does not effectively re-zero the reading, it's probably defective.

Tortoises can have some weight variation based on if they have pooped or urinated recently, especially for tortoises that are this small. For consistency, try to record the weight after defecation and soaking.

It would be easier if you didn't post a new thread with each of your questions. People will keep asking you to post photos, temperatures, lighting, and other data. If all this info is in a single thread, people can more quickly provide advice.
OK i will think of that thank you.