Weight loss

J4cq

Location (City and/or State)
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi, I have two Greek tortoises (approx 10 & 11 months old). I have weighed them weekly for over 2 months. They have both steadily gained weight and size. They are both very active, eat and poop well. I feed them on weeds and flowers. They have had a strawberry and a tomato once in 2 months. They also have daily soaks.

Over the last 3 weeks one of them has lost weight. From 119g then 114g and today 112g. The first loss i put down to maybe weighing after he'd eaten, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone have any suggestions? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420179711.697167.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420179758.481747.jpg

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What was your tort's weight the week before the 119 weight. I find my Russians will vary in weight depending on how much of a feeding frenzy they have been in that month and how hydrated they are and if they pooped a big one that soak.

And just like people, each one is an individual and the growth rates will vary.

Offer more food if it is not all being eaten. Make sure the variety of food is good; all healthy choices of course.

Check your temperatures in each enclosure.

Good luck!

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
As Will said, check your temperatures. If he's acting normal (eating, drinking, and pooping) like you said, it's probably nothing, but just keep an eye on him over the next few weeks. Maybe offer him a little more food if he's finishing it all every day.

Best of luck!