Los Angeles Area Sulcata Adoption Help

Inisdun

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have an 11 year old female Sulcata named Spike. We have to move up to the Seattle area from San Dimas, and unfortunately, I know the climate up there is not good for her, so I am looking for someone who is willing to adopt her. She pretty much lives outside, and forages off of the yard from specific grassland tortoise mixes we have planted, supplemented with various veggies and greens that we occasionally treat her too, especially her fall favorite - fresh pumpkins. We really don't want to have to give her up, but I just can't imagine her being happy up in the Pacific Northwest. I estimate her to be about 80 pounds, and she is about the size of my torso, so pretty close to full grown at this point.

Attachments

• spike_pic.jpg
    spike_pic.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

ZenHerper

New Jersey
@maggie3fan keeps Sulcata in PNW.

This is her shed thread:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They can be kept anywhere if you have the means. There are sulcatas and many other species in the cold snowy North.
Read what ZenHerper linked for you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sulcata do quite well here. Mine lives outside in a tort shed...
100_6258.JPG
It's heated with an oilfilled radiator type heater that keeps the ambient temperature at 85 in the coldest weather. there's a sleeping box inside the shed with a heat mat to sleep on, and basking lights and che's, she can pace on the days she gets pissed cuz I won't open the doggie door. I open her door most days except active falling rain and lower temps then 60 degrees. She is old enuf to know when to come in out of the cold, and she does. She grazes and goes back in. She is outside as much as she can be, and when she is out, she's a holy terror...lol...She's a rescue who was pyramided before I received her.
She likes to swim in the box turtle pond..
She's about 40 pounds now. I'm telling you this to show you that you don't have to give yours up...you just need to spend some money for a fitting heated enclosure....then I use cinder block to make the pens so I can move them around as tortoises come and go. We're all glad to help you make the transition. And I can always keep your guy temporarily until you have him set up...if you need...or want100_5046.JPG100_5049.JPG
100_0645.JPG
100_0646.JPG

Inisdun

California
Thanks for all the advice. Good to know people are having success up there. Now, to just figure out how to transport her when we do the move.

Darla

Riverside CA
I have an 11 year old female Sulcata named Spike. We have to move up to the Seattle area from San Dimas, and unfortunately, I know the climate up there is not good for her, so I am looking for someone who is willing to adopt her. She pretty much lives outside, and forages off of the yard from specific grassland tortoise mixes we have planted, supplemented with various veggies and greens that we occasionally treat her too, especially her fall favorite - fresh pumpkins. We really don't want to have to give her up, but I just can't imagine her being happy up in the Pacific Northwest. I estimate her to be about 80 pounds, and she is about the size of my torso, so pretty close to full grown at this point.