EARTHQUAKE in Los Angeles - Sulcata Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We had a 5.8 Earthquake in Los Angeles Area today, and we observed that our 3 Sulcata's didn't come out of their home until after the earthquake hit. They are usually out around 7:30-8 AM. Wife called me at 1100 and during our discussion she mentioned that she had not seen them out yet and that they had not eaten the hibiscus branch I had cut for them. I was going to check on them when I was home for lunch. Earthquake hit at 1142 AM, and by 1200 they were all out, eating away at the hibiscus branch.

Has anyone else seen different behavior in their Tortoises prior to Earthquakes? Anyone in the LA area too notice anything different today?

We have friends that have two Calif. Desert Tortoises, and they stayed in their burrows most of the morning. They are not sure if they came out before the quake or not.

David

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
I have heard of animals being able to sense when there was something about to happen. Like stories of house cats and even horses acting different. It is very interesting how they can "sense" that something is going to happen like that. Don't you wish that they could tell us what was going to happen before it does?

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I think they know far more than what scientists think.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
My desert tortoises are in my office with me in South Pasadena. Before the earthquake, they were out walking around looking for food, so I fed them - this is typical, everyday behavior for them. When the earthquake hit, I sat at my desk staring at my tortoises to see what their reaction was. Somehow I thought "well if they're not going to panic, then I won't panic." Brutus kept eating - the quake had absolutely no effect on him. And we were rockin', too - my building is on rollers and I'm on the 2nd floor.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I am about 37 miles from the epicenter. only 2 of my hatchlings came out before the quake. The DT had all burrowed deeper than usual. Even my new Golden had dug in. she has not dug in before she just hide in her log. so I'm thinking two of my hatchlings are rather clueless. Or just like Michael said aren't effected by things like that. lol.

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hmm...I'm up in Nor Cal, and we haven't had a decent sized quake in some time (knock on wood). But, looking at the USGS website, it looks like y'all had a bunch of little 1s and 2s yesterday before the 5.8. Maybe the tortoises were more in tune to those than the humans were?

I'll have to keep an eye on my Leo's for strange behavior and see if it happens with them. I know my dogs and cat act strangely before quakes.

I hope noone had any damage.

alice

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wow! arent animals amazing!

they really can sence things.

great story

x

mick48

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
well i dont know about earthquakes as iam in the uk but my spurr thigh that live in the garden u can tell what the weathers going to be like from quick showers to down pours by the way he faces in his borrow a good few hours before it happens,so in the morning i look at how hes facing and have some idea what the day will be like,strange but true

Status
Not open for further replies.