Looking to rehome 1 of my Ca. Desert tortoises…

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is there someone in Southern Ca that takes in desert tortoises? I have 2 males who dont get along. I have had them since hatching, my gram gave them to me for my girls. I think they are 8 years old now and I feel bad keeping them together with this stress. One is always trying to flip the other over and they have only woken up not too long ago and already fighting. I let it slide the last 2-3 years and built a divide in their habitat even but they just dig to get to eachother. Hate to let one go but this isnt healthy for them to live stressed ether. :(

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Southern California
This is another good example of why tortoises should not be kept in pairs. All the best wishes for the rehoming!
I agree. I had read that after my gram gave them to us. I figured this would be the outcome although I held out hope they would be the exception.

SluggersMom70

Fontana CALIFORNIA
You can try here: https://tortoise.org/cttc/adoption.html

I would be interested to know how they respond if you do end up contacting them
Ive had to contact 2 different CTTCs lately over found tortoises and both were more than willing to help. I was given 2 8mos old sulcattas because of family illness and no time. They were taken in by CTTC of the High Desert no problem.
I was floored by how many missing tortoises were posted on Next-door just in my town over the past few months! Like 7 or 8. The number of red-earred sliders found wandering was unreal!! Like 10+! Our town on the local news because a huge sulcattas was found wandering down the street! The owners finally came forward.
Does anyone watch their tortoises??? They underestimate them that's for sure!!